UNC to Hold 2018 Spring Commencement Ceremonies May 4-5
April 27, 2018
The University of Northern Colorado will hold ceremonies marking the 128th spring commencement May 4-5.
The Graduate School ceremony to award specialist, master's and doctoral degrees will be at 7 p.m. Friday, May 4, in Bank of Colorado Arena in the Butler-Hancock Athletic Center, south of the intersection of 14th Avenue and 20th Street.
Over 400 spring graduates will receive advanced degrees. Approximately 280 graduate students expected to complete advanced degree requirements this summer are eligible to participate in the spring ceremony. UNC doesn't offer a summer commencement ceremony.
UNC alumna Angela Parrish is the keynote speaker for the Graduate School ceremony. The award-winning songwriter, the voice behind "Another Day of Sun" in the opening scene of the acclaimed film “La La Land,” is planning to speak and perform a song she composed for commencement. Parrish earned a master’s degree in Jazz Studies-Piano from UNC in 2012.
The undergraduate commencement ceremony will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 5, at Nottingham
Field, intersection of 17th Avenue and Reservoir Road.
About 1,150 spring graduates will receive their undergraduate degrees. An additional 300 students expected to complete degree requirements this summer are eligible to participate in the spring ceremony because UNC doesn't offer a summer commencement ceremony.
The ceremony’s featured speaker will be alumnus Justin Hutchens. With a background as an investor, he’s served in several executive roles and is currently the CEO of HC-One, one of the largest and most recognized home care providers in the United Kingdom. In 2012, Forbes named him one of America’s most powerful CEOs under age 40. As a student at UNC, he got his start in health care by working as a resident assistant at a Greeley care facility.
Distinguished faculty and student leadership awards will also be presented during the ceremony.
More Info on Ceremonies
- Parking is free in UNC lots.
- Tickets aren’t required to attend the ceremonies, and seating is available on a first-come basis.
- Doors to the venues open one hour before each ceremony.
- It’s anticipated that Friday night’s Graduate School ceremony will fill to capacity. If that happens, guests will be redirected to overflow space in nearby Lindou Auditorium to watch the streamed ceremony on screens there.
- For more information, including ceremony etiquette and protocols, the inclement weather plan for Saturday's ceremony and to view live webcasts of the ceremonies, go to www.unco.edu/commencement