Organizational Changes Within Division of Academic Affairs
October 1, 2020
The Division of Academic Affairs has implemented organizational changes over the last several months to improve the division’s structure. The leaders and units within academic affairs are:
- Nancy Matchett, formerly interim associate provost, is the associate provost and assistant vice
president of Undergraduate Studies. In this role, she oversees undergraduate programs
and academic engagement activities that span all academic units at the university
(Honors, McNair Scholars, Upward Bound and ROTC).
- Jeri Lyons joined in July as the associate vice president of Research and dean of the Graduate
School, overseeing the graduate school and the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
(animal research and Institutional Review Board).
- Kim Medina joined in May as the assistant vice president for Enrollment Management. The Division
of Enrollment Management includes the offices of Admissions, Bursar, Financial Aid
- Stephanie Torrez is the assistant vice president for Student Academic Success. She's coordinating
Tutorial Services, SOAR, student-athlete academic success, the Center for Human Enrichment
and the advising team across the academic colleges. Torrez is also co-chairing the
Integrative Network Council.
- Kim Black’s title has changed to assistant provost for Academic Effectiveness. Academic Effectiveness
includes assessment and accreditation, the Center for the Enhancement of Teaching
and Learning and Instructional Design and Development.
- Sonia Schaible-Brandon, Ph.D., has been hired as the new director of Institutional Research and Effectiveness. Schaible-Brandon has started this role on Oct. 1 and will support the data and analytical
needs of Academic Affairs.
- The Center for International Education, under Executive Director Olga Baron, includes the Intensive English Program, international
recruitment, international partnerships, international student and scholar services
and education abroad.
- Extended Campus reports to Interim Director Dallas Everhart.
- The team of academic deans includes:
- Laura Connolly, dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Trent Lalonde, interim dean of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
- Sher Gibbs, dean of the Monfort College of Business
- Burkhard Englert, dean of the College of Natural and Health Sciences
- Kiki Gilderhus, interim dean of the College of Performing and Visual Arts
- Jennifer Nutefall, dean of the University Libraries
These changes were made to better serve UNC's faculty, staff and students and are aligned with the Administrative Service Center (SC) model for serving the university. The ASC model within Academic Affairs includes one ASC per college, one ASC for the Graduate School, ORSP, and Enrollment Management, and one ASC for the other units within Academic Affairs. This updated organization chart for Academic Affairs will also support a structure where more responsibility for strategic decision-making resides in the academic colleges.
Academic Affairs is also conducting searches to fill three vacant leadership positions: Dean of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, Dean of the College of Performing and Visual Arts and Executive Director of Extended Campus.