Convocation Ushers in New Academic Year
August 2, 2018
Convocation, the traditional kick-off to each new academic year, will have a new look, feel and location this year. All UNC students, faculty and staff are invited to attend the time-honored tradition with free 2018 UNC Bears T-shirts to be distributed to the first 1,800 attendees.
One of the two bookends to the academic experience (the other being commencement), convocation at 4 p.m. Aug. 17 will retain much of the pomp and tradition of past ceremonies, with welcomes from President Andy Feinstein, and Interim Provost Theo Kalikow.
Located at Bank of Colorado Arena at Butler-Hancock Hall, this year’s ceremony will also include music, remarks and well wishes from special guests and alumni, and much more.
- Students will begin heading to Bank of Colorado Arena at 3:30 p.m.
- Stage party and faculty will line up at 3:30 p.m. at Butler-Hancock Hall, room 193, for the procession, and the ceremony will begin at 4 p.m.
- Free UNC Bears T-shirts will be distributed to the first 1,800 attendees.
- Taste of UNC will follow immediately after the ceremony (Taste of UNC is expected to end at 7 p.m.).
- Parking is free in non-restricted spaces on campus Aug. 11-20, including lots L and M lots near Nottingham Field for the convocation event (note: restricted spaces including ADA, Service, Fire Lane, and Time Restricted Zones will still be enforced.) Attendees are asked to park on UNC property versus the surrounding neighborhoods.
- UNC offices are encouraged to suggest and to allow staff to attend the ceremony.
- Offices can purchase meal tickets for staff for the Taste of UNC in advance by contacting Joann Doherty in Dining Services via email or by calling 970-351-2652.