Can You Qualify for In-State Tuition?
Residents of 14 participating states are eligible to enroll in available programs outside of their home state at resident tuition rates. The Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) is a tuition-discounting program similar to the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) and is coordinated by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE).
- Reside in a WRGP eligible state for at least nine consecutive months prior to the beginning of the first academic term of WRGP acceptance.
- Proof of a permanent address in the WRGP state.
- Payment of state income tax on wages earned in the WRGP state.
- Proof of eligibility can be demonstrated by submitting three of the following items:
- Vehicle registration
- Driver’s license
- State income tax return
- Utility bill dated approximately nine months prior to the start of your classes at UNC
Applicants who apply for a WICHE eligible program and reside in a WICHE eligible state will be notified by email after the graduate application is submitted and are given the opportunity to load at least three of these five documents to their Admissions Portal so WICHE status eligibility can be determined.
- Only three of the five documents listed must be submitted to qualify. You do not need to submit all five. Federal 1040 income tax form is not a qualifying document. You should submit your most recent state income tax form. The form must be the actual income tax form, and not your authorization to efile. You may black out any personal information e.g., Social security number, income, etc. when sending these documents to the email address. The name and address must be visible along with the tax year.
- Vehicle registration and/or utility bills can be in someone else’s name as long as the address reflected on them is the same as the UNC applicant’s address.
- Documents must be current. No expired vehicle registration or driver’s license will be accepted. All parts of these documents must be clearly visible.
- No alternative documents will be accepted e.g., pay stubs, student loan forms, vehicle proof of insurance, etc.
- Documents should be combined into one pdf and uploaded to the admissions portal for review. If you cannot submit the pdf to your portal, you may send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you were attending school in a different state, but did not establish domicile in that state, you may still qualify for WICHE in your state of domicile. You must prove through these documents that you did not establish domicile in the new state.
- If after admission to a WICHE eligible program you request to change your program/site to an Extended Campus program, you will not be able to maintain WICHE status.
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
You may also qualify if you are from the following U. S. Pacific Territories and Freely Associated States:
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Republic of the Marshall Islands
Qualifying Programs at UNC
Please note: Only programs offered on the Greeley campus qualify for WRGP status. Programs offered through UNC's Extended Campus are offered at tuition rates independent of residency status.
Master's and Specialist Programs
- M.Acc. Accounting
- M.S. Applied Statistics and Research Methods
- M.S. Athletic Training
- M.S. in Biological Sciences (thesis and non-thesis)
- MBS Biomedical Sciences
- M.S. Chemistry: Education Emphasis (thesis and non-thesis)
- M.S. Chemistry: Chemistry Emphasis (thesis & non-thesis)
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. Earth Sciences
- MAT Education: English Education Emphasis
- M.A. Educational Leadership
- Ed.S. Educational Leadership
- M.A. Educational Psychology
- M.A. English
- PSM Environmental Geosciences
- M.A. Foreign Languages: Spanish Teaching
- M.A. Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership
- M.A. History
- M.A. Marriage, Couples and Family Counseling/Therapy
- M.A. Multilingual Education (TESOL & World Languages)
- M.M. Music: Collaborative Piano
- M.M. Music: Conducting
- M.M. Music: Instrumental Performance
- M.M. Music: Jazz Studies
- M.M. Music: Music Composition
- M.M. Music: Music Education
- M.M. Music: Music History and Literature
- M.M. Music: Music Theory
- M.M. Music: Vocal Performance
- M.A. Rehabilitation Counseling
- M.A. School Counseling
- Ed.S. School Psychology
- Ed.S. School Psychology: Applied Behavior Analysis
- M.A. Sociology: Applied
- M.A. Sociology: Thesis
- M.A. Special Education M.A.: Early Childhood Special Education Emphasis
- M.A. Special Education: Gifted Education Specialist Endorsement
- M.A. Speech Language Pathology
- M.S. Sport and Exercise Science: Biomechanics
- M.S. Sport and Exercise Science: Exercise Physiology
- M.S. Sport and Exercise Science: Social Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity
- M.S. Sport and Exercise Science: Sport Administration
- Applied Statistics and Research Methods Ph.D.
- Au.D. Audiology
- Biological Education Ph.D.
- Ph.D. Chemical Education
- Ph.D. Counseling Psychology
- Ph.D. Counselor Education and Supervision
- Ph.D. Educational Mathematics
- Ph.D. Educational Psychology
- Ed.D. Educational Studies
- Ph.D. Educational Technology
- Ph.D. Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership
- D.A. Music (Collaborative Piano, Conducting, Jazz Studies, Music Performance)
- D.A. Music: Music Composition
- D.A. Music: Music Education
- D.A. Music: Music History and Literature
- Ph.D. School Psychology
- Ph.D. Special Education
- Ph.D. Sport and Exercise Science: Biomechanics
- Ph.D. Sport and Exercise Science: Exercise Physiology
- Ph.D. Sport and Exercise Science: Physical Education and Physical Activity Leadership (PE PAL)
- Ph.D. Sport and Exercise Science: Social Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity
- Ph.D. Sport and Exercise Science: Sport Administration
- Ph.D. Technology, Innovation and Pedagogy