Jump to main content


Browse the list below of frequently asked questions regarding COVID-19, the university's response to those questions and other important information for students, faculty and staff.

As UNC's response to the COVID-19 situation is further defined, this page will be updated with the most recent developments as they become available.

Undergraduate Admissions Info Graduate & Intl Admissions Info IM&T Technology Info  CARES Act Info  Submit Additional Questions 


Summer/Fall 2020 Terms

  • Will I be able to register for Summer or Fall 2020 classes if I have a hold on my account?

    UNC has agreed to lift registration holds to allow students to have more time to pay past-due Spring 2020 bills. Your student account hold for your past-due bill has been temporarily waived at this time so you may register for upcoming summer and/or fall classes. You will need to pay your Spring 2020 account balance to below $200 by the day before classes start for summer and/or fall. If you do not pay your account balance to below $200, your classes will be dropped. If you have a dining/housing credit it will be taken into consideration to getting your account balance below $200.

    If you have questions, please contact Bear Central at 970-351-4862.

  • Will Summer2020 courses be held online?

    Summer 2020: Courses in the first six-week summer session and the 12-week summer session will be held online. Additional details will be updated on the Summer Session website.

  • What is the plan for the Fall 2020 semester?

    Our plan is for our students, faculty, and staff to be back on campus and for in-person instruction to resume in time for a traditional start to the academic year in late August. UNC faculty and staff will spend time over the summer to make necessary and reasonable accommodations to ensure that we can return to campus while continuing to protect the health and safety of our community. 

    What our return to campus in the fall looks like is going to depend on how conditions evolve between now and then—flexibility in responding to public health orders and changing circumstances will be necessary even after the semester begins. We will be prepared to implement changes to our operations to ensure the health and safety of our people. For example, some social distancing measures are likely to still be in place requiring us to make adjustments to how classrooms are arranged or how many students can be in any space at once. Testing, temperature checks, and contact tracing might be utilized to monitor the health of our community. We may need to make accommodations for students living in residence halls to have their own rooms, and we are confident that we have sufficient surplus housing capacity to make this happen. And, we could find that conditions require us to all wear masks when we are in public spaces on campus. In all decisions, we will continue to confer with our partners in state and local government and follow the guidance of public health authorities.

    We will continue to update this page and communicate broadly as decisions are made.

  • Should faculty prepare for online instruction in Fall 2020 just in case?

    As we know from our experience in Spring 2020, anything could change with a moment’s notice. For that reason, we ask that faculty still plan for the possibility that conditions require us to continue teaching online or that our reality lies somewhere in between being fully online or fully -in-person.

    We know that your preparations for the fall take time and effort—all the more so when you are asked to plan for multiple scenarios. We will make every effort to consult with faculty through the Faculty Senate Executive Committee and other means and share information with all faculty in a timely manner as we proceed with our planning. We will also continue to make resources available through the Center for the Enhancement of Teaching & Learning to assist with your preparations for different instructional modalities.

Alternate Grading Option

The decision to opt into S/U grading should be made very carefully, as it may affect financial aid, licensure and graduate school applications, probationary status, and student-athlete eligibility, to name just a few. For this reason, we strongly encourage all students to consult with their academic advisor and the to make sure S/U grading is the right choice for them.

  • Are grading or other registration policies changing as a result of the move to remote learning?

    The deadline for individual course withdrawals is being extended to Friday, April 17th for all full-semester offerings. This aligns with the deadline for a complete schedule withdrawal this term. Individual course withdrawal deadlines for Special Term/Short Course offerings will also be aligned with the respective deadlines for complete schedule withdrawals in those cases.

    No other policy changes have been made.

  • Can I change to a non-letter grade for my classes this semester?

    All students have the option to opt into Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading for every Spring 2020 course, with some limited exceptions. Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading means that students who opt in will receive a mark that indicates whether they passed or failed a course instead of a letter grade.

    ALL students are strongly encouraged to check in with their academic advisors and the Office of Financial Aid about whether opting into S/U grades is the right choice for them and to determine how S/U grading might affect their progress to degree, licensure, applications for graduate school, financial aid, and other matters

  • Who can opt into Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading? Which courses are eligible for the S/U grading option?

    All undergraduate and graduate students may opt into S/U grading for any spring 2020 course in which they are currently enrolled, except for those very few courses that require a letter grade such as those required for licensure. Please consult with your advisor to determine any other factors that might inform and affect your decision.

  • How do I opt into S/U grading, and what is the deadline for making that choice? 

    To opt in, students must log into Ursa, go to the “Student” tab, and click on the “S/U Grading Option Application” link under “Grades” to designate the courses for which they intend to opt into S/U grading; changes in a student’s election to opt into S/U grading may also be made using this same form. Students will be required to submit their BEAR number, as well as the CRN, course prefix, and course number for each course.   

    The deadline for students to opt into S/U grading will be 5:00 p.m. on May 29, 2020. This deadline allows students the opportunity to make their final determination to keep a letter grade or opt into S/U grading once they know what their final letter grades would have been. Students may make and change their selections up until the deadline. No changes will be permitted after 5:00 p.m. on May 29, 2020.

    Changes will take some time to process, so they will not be reflected immediately on students’ accounts. Selections submitted between the end of the semester and deadline may take longer to process, but all selections submitted before the deadline will be honored.

    All students are strongly encouraged to check in with their academic advisors and the Office of Financial Aid about whether opting into S/U grades is the right choice for them and to determine how S/U grading might affect their progress to degree, licensure, applications for graduate school, financial aid, and other matters.  

  • How will grades be converted from letter grades to the S/U option?

    For undergraduate students: Any letter grade that is a C- or higher would be converted to an S+; a letter grade that is a D-, D, or D+ would be converted to an S; and, an F would be converted to a U. Students should be aware that the letter grade they would have earned may still determine whether a course will be accepted as a prerequisite or for transfer to another institution (see question below for details on transferring S/U grades).

    For graduate students: To receive an S+, the earned letter grade must be a B- or higher; a letter grade that is a C or a C+ would be converted to an S; and a C- or below would be converted to a U. Specific graduate programs may require that students earn a B- or higher for courses to count toward their program. Please coordinate directly with your program advisor on your specific situation.

  • Will selecting the S/U grading option affect my full- or part-time enrollment status?

    S/U grades will not affect your enrollment status. A student’s enrollment status is not based on grading methodology.

  • Will S/U grades affect my GPA?

    An S/U grade does not change a student’s term or cumulative GPA. However, the S/U grade is used in the course completion rate calculation to determine whether a student completed their financial aid academic period.

  • Will S/U grades count toward degree completion?

    Grades of S earned in the spring 2020 semester will satisfy degree requirements and will not be counted against the S credit limit in any degree or major, without exceptions. Courses in which a U grade is earned will not be counted toward degree requirements, including credit hours earned.

    Students should consult their respective academic/major advisor to determine whether grades satisfy requirements within major program of study, as well as minors, certification/licensure programs, etc.

  • Will S/U graded courses meet prerequisite requirements and Liberal Arts Core (LAC) requirements?

    'S' grades meet the grade requirement for all LAC course offerings.

    Published prerequisite grades for classes taken in Spring 2020 will still be enforced, but in alignment with the S+/S/U grading options.For undergraduate students, prerequisites that require a C- or better will need to receive an S+ grade to satisfy the requirement. Course prerequisite requirements can be found in the course catalogs.

    Students should consult their respective academic/major advisor to determine whether S grades satisfy requirements within major program of study, as well as minors, certification/licensure programs, etc.

  • I’m a student athlete. Can I still select an S/U grade option?

    Student-athletes must have the approval of their athletic academic advisor before opting into the S/U grading option. Depending on overall GPA, declaring S/U could affect their NCAA eligibility.

  • I’m an international student. Can I still select an S/U grade option?

    International students should consult with the Center for International Education and their financial sponsors to determine whether opting into S/U grading is acceptable.

  • I am planning to transfer to another institution. Will an S/U grade affect that?

    For in-state transfer to another Colorado public institution: To promote consistency across institutions and to ensure the integrity of statewide transfer Frameworks, including GT Pathways and Statewide Transfer Articulation Agreements, the Colorado Department of Higher Education has issued guidance advising institutions to accept S or Pass-graded courses if the letter grade that was earned is a C- or higher.

    For transfer to out-of-state or private universities: Students and their advisors should check with individual institutions.

  • I’m currently on Academic Probation – will selecting the S/U grade option for one or more of my courses affect me?

    S/U grades will not negatively or positively impact GPA. The impact to your academic standing depends on how many courses use the S/U grade option. Please contact your academic advisor to determine if the S/U grade option is appropriate for your respective situation.

    More information on the effect of S/U grading for undergraduate probation students can be found here.

  • I’m taking a course for Grade Replacement – does S/U grading affect it?

    If a student selects the S/U option for a course being taken for grade replacement during Spring 2020, the S/S+ or U grade received in Spring 2020 will replace the previous grade earned, even if the course was originally taken as a standard letter graded course. Students using the grade replacement policy should understand the following: 

    1. The previous grade will not be included in your cumulative GPA
    2. Students earning an ‘S’ grade will not see any impact on their term or cumulative GPA
    3. A course taken with the S/U grade option during Spring 2020 will not be counted as part of the 6-course maximum allowed for grade replacement
    4. A course taken with the S/U grade option during Spring 2020 will not be counted as part of the once per course allowance for grade replacement
  • How will grades be converted from letter grades to the S/U option?

    For undergraduate students:
    Any letter grade that is a C- or higher would be converted to an S+; a letter grade that is a D-, D, or D+ would be converted to an S; and, an F would be converted to a U. Students should be aware that the letter grade they would have earned may still determine whether a course will be accepted as a prerequisite or for transfer to another institution (see question below for details on transferring S/U grades).

    For graduate students:
    To receive an S+, the earned letter grade must be a B- or higher; a letter grade that is a C or a C+ would be converted to an S; and a C- or below would be converted to a U. Specific graduate programs may require that students earn a B- or higher for courses to count toward their program. Please coordinate directly with your program advisor on your specific situation.

  • How will an S/U grade affect my VA educational benefits?

    A grade of ‘S’ or ‘S+’ will count toward degree progress, and will not affect your GPA. There will be no change to your educational record (credits, tuition, or fees) to the VA for a course for which you receive a grade of ‘S’ or ‘S+’.

    A grade of ‘U’ will not count toward degree progress, and will not affect your GPA. ‘U’ grades are considered “Non-Punitive” by the VA. All Non-Punitive grades must be reported to the VA as a reduction in credits, tuition, and fees. You will incur a debt for any course(s) for which you receive a ‘U’ grade. You may opt to take the course again, and if the course is still required for your declared major at the time of submission, you may receive VA educational benefits for the retake.

    If you choose to stay with A-F grading and receive an ‘F’ grade in your course, the ‘F’ will not count toward degree progress, and will affect your GPA. There will be no change to your educational record (credits, tuition, or fees) to the VA for a course that you receive an ‘F’. You may opt to take the course again, and if the course is still required for your declared major at the time of submission, you may receive VA educational benefits for the retake.

    Please work with your advisor, and contact VA.SCO@unco.edu, if you have any questions.

  • Will S/U grading affect my spring financial aid?

    S/U grading will not negatively affect your financial aid eligibility if you are currently meeting all SAP standards. Neither S nor U grades calculate in the cumulative GPA.

    To maintain SAP standards, students must complete and pass at least 67 percent of cumulatively attempted credits. “U” grades (like F and W grades) will count as credits that have not been completed. “S” grades will count as credits earned are considered a passing grade. It is important to earn credit in all the courses you are enrolled in for this semester.

  • I’m on a Warning or Ineligibility status for financial aid. Will S/U grading affect my future financial aid eligibility?

    If you are currently on a Financial Aid Warning or Ineligibility status, opting to use S/U grading for all your courses will not help your cumulative GPA. Earning an “S” will boost your completion rate and a “U” will hinder it. If you choose the S/U grade option for all your courses this spring, your GPA will not change after grades post. Your cumulative GPA after Fall 2019 will be considered for all financial aid determinations.

  • I’m on a Financial Aid Academic Plan or Probation. Should I opt into S/U grading?

    At this time, the Department of Education has not provided relief to students on Financial Aid Academic Plans for the spring semester. S/U grading will not negatively affect your spring financial aid eligibility; however, you will need to continue to meet the terms of your Academic Plan in order to remain eligible for financial aid next semester. If COVID-19 has affected your ability to complete the terms of your plan, you can always re-appeal your financial aid status after the completion of spring.

Spring 2020 Courses - for Students

Courses - for Faculty

  • How do I get support for moving my class online?

    Faculty will receive emails from the Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning, as well as the Instructional Design and Development (IDD) staff.  Additional materials are available on the CETL Emergency Remote Teaching website. There are also tips on working remotely for all employees on the Organizational Development site.

    Many of our faculty are experienced Canvas users. Talk to your chair/director and immediate colleagues about who could provide you direct support.

  • Do I have to use Canvas for electronic delivery?

    Canvas is the recommended online delivery option at UNC. It’s the only tool Instructional Design and Delivery (IDD) staff supports, and nearly all students will be familiar with Canvas already even if you’ve never used it in your course. However, the most important thing is that you maintain regular and substantive interaction with students in a way that is as closely aligned with your original syllabus, schedule and course delivery plan as possible.

    Instructors who choose to use something other than Canvas* must send an email to their department chair and dean that explains:

    1. How often you’ll communicate with your students
    2. How you’ll deliver course content
    3. What other strategies you’re using to ensure regular and substantive interaction with students

    *This step is unnecessary for instructors who choose to use Canvas.

    This is because we need to be able to explain our practices for maintaining instructional quality to external agencies, such as the HLC and Federal Financial Aid regulators.

  • My course can’t be delivered online. What should I do?

    We need to do everything we can to continue course delivery, and, in the majority of cases, it’s possible to achieve the same course learning objectives even if we have to significantly alter the method of instruction and assessment. All instructors are expected to deliver their courses remotely unless an exception has been approved by their Chair, Dean and the Provost Office.

  • What should I do if my student’s internship, student-teaching or practicum site closes?

    Please work closely with the relevant program coordinator for student teaching or practicum issues. They will have the most up-to-date information regarding hourly requirements for licensure and other rules set by external partners.

    For internships, it’s appropriate to replace any missed on-site/direct experiential learning hours with research, reflection and other alternatives, if needed.

    As with all of our courses, if the internship learning objectives can be achieved online, then that’s an acceptable delivery mode during this period. Please make sure you communicate with any students you supervise/coordinate about how they can complete their internships this term. 

  • Do I need a doctor’s note when a student isn’t participating?

    Students shouldn’t be required to provide a doctor’s note to document illness during the pandemic. Doctors and health-care workers are increasingly overwhelmed, and we don’t want our policies to increase the likelihood that a student will infect or come in contact with others who are sick.

  • How do I ensure my materials are accessible to all students?

    Pages built directly in Canvas are accessible, and digitally created PDFs are generally readable. If you deploy audio-video lectures, please ensure that they’re closed-captioned. More guidance is available within Canvas and from the Disability Resources Center.

  • How can I ensure students adhere to academic integrity standards in an online environment?

    Some research indicates that requiring students to read and agree to an academic integrity statement prior to completing a quiz or other online assignment increases adherence to those standards.

    Other best practices for ensuring academic integrity include:

    • Limiting quizzes or other assessments to a specific timeframe (e.g., students may only access the assessment during a two-hour window and must complete the assessment within 30 minutes after opening it)
    • Preventing students from backtracking to any question they have previously answered
    • Setting the quiz to automatically randomize the order of questions for each student
    • Requiring students to read and respond to a statement about academic integrity at the beginning of an assessment

    These models are built into the Canvas course templates developed by Instructional Design and Delivery (IDD).

  • Can I deploy online proctoring software to ensure students don’t cheat during exams?

    UNC can't provide access to any proctoring software, and we can’t require students to purchase the software. Please see the answer to “How can I ensure students adhere to academic integrity standards in an online environment?” above for alternatives.

  • What can I do for students who don’t have laptops or good internet access?

    Information Management & Technology prepared and distributed a number of laptops for students and personnel to borrow while classes are online. If you still need a laptop, please open a ticket with Information Management & Technology and you will be given a specific time for pickup.

    Students can use mobile apps for Canvas, Zoom and Microsoft Teams on their phones.

    Comcast has made accommodations to provide free WiFi internet access via their Xfinity network.  Comcast is also offering significantly reduced pricing on internet services.  Visit the Comcast website for additional information. Many other cell phone data and internet services are offering free or substantially reduced pricing.

  • Am I expected to hold office hours?

    Instructors may grant an 'Incomplete' at their discretion (read the official grading policy). If you do grant an 'Incomplete,' please be sure to document what the student must do to finish/receive a grade for the course. Documentation must be sent to both the student and department chair.

    Please note that international students who receive permission to return to their countries, as well as students who become sick, face quarantines of 14 days and are likely to be without internet access during those periods. Either case would be an appropriate circumstance for assigning an ‘I’ grade, and students may not have time to communicate with their instructors as these situations arise.

    Please refer to the Alternate Grading Option section for additional information on Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades for Spring 2020 courses.

  • My student is requesting an 'Incomplete' because they don't think they can be successful online. Is this an appropriate circumstance?

    Instructors may grant an 'Incomplete' at their discretion (read the official grading policy). If you do grant an 'Incomplete,' please be sure to document what the student must do to finish/receive a grade for the course. Documentation must be sent to both the student and department chair.

    Please note that international students who receive permission to return to their countries, as well as students who become sick, face quarantines of 14 days and are likely to be without internet access during those periods. Either case would be an appropriate circumstance for assigning an ‘I’ grade, and students may not have time to communicate with their instructors as these situations arise.

    Please refer to the Alternate Grading Option section below for additional information on Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades for Spring 2020 courses.

  • How can I help my students be successful in an online classroom?

    There is a student module inside your Canvas shell that will provide students with immediate, need to know information. Students will also have access to a general online learning orientation course when they log into the main Canvas website. Additional advice is available in the CETL Remote Teaching FAQs.

Admissions and Prospective Students

For additional information about how the COVID-19 situation is affecting undergraduate admissions visits the admissions COVID-19 webpage or the graduate/international admissions COVID-10 webpage.

University Operations

Campus Resources

  • What does the Colorado stay-at-home order mean for UNC?

    UNC has been closed to the public, with the exception of essential personnel and students living in residence halls, since 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17. Campus will remain closed during Colorado’s statewide Stay at Home Order, and will continue to follow guidance from state and federal public health authorities regarding decisions around the availability of campus buildings and services.

    Regardless of where you are, please continue to follow the safeguards and travel restrictions placed in your area.

  • How will campus services be affected?

    In order to protect the health of our campus community and to do our part to flatten the curve as the virus spreads, UNC closed all campuses, except for essential personnel, beginning at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17 and until further notice. Academic operations will continue via alternate delivery as described in prior questions and communications. 

    Please visit the On-Campus Resources page for an up-to-date list of campus services available during this time.

  • Will the UNC Libraries be open while the campus is closed? Can I check out materials during that time?

    While the UNC campus is closed, the buildings will not be open for regular business. However, starting on Saturday, April 25 you can make requests from the library catalog using the “Request It” button. Materials from Michener or Skinner Music Library will be pulled from the shelves and checked out to you, and can be picked up at Michener Library during specific pickup times:

    • Tuesdays from 11:30 am-1:30 pm
    • Fridays from 2-4 pm

    Holds placed by 4 pm on Monday or Thursday will be ready for pickup on Tuesday or Friday, respectively. Please use the main entrance on the north side of the building, and bring your UNC ID.

    If possible, please keep materials until the Libraries reopen. You will not be charged for late returns caused by closures or other circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are leaving the area and must return materials, please return all materials to the book drop at the north entrance of Michener Library. Do not return materials to Skinner Music Library or to the book drop at the University Center.

    Additionally, there are abundant library resources available online, including:

    For more information about library services, visit Library FAQ page or contact libraries@unco.edu.

  • Are counseling services available?

    Group Counseling services are suspended through the rest of the Spring semester. However, we will continue to offer services to individuals through online and phone formats during working hours (8:00a-5:00p). Individuals needing support after hours can call the Counseling Center number (970-351-2496) to be connected with an on-call counselor. Learn more on the Counseling Center website.

  • Is the Student Health Center open?

    Yes. Hours of operation are posted on the Student Health Center Website.

    Please call 970-351-2412 before coming in to prevent overcrowding

  • Will the Psychological Services Clinic be open? 

    Services through the Psychological Services Clinic have been suspended through the rest of the Spring semester. All clients are being referred to other services; no online counseling by PSC will replace the in-person sessions.

  •  How will UNC Tutorial Services change?

    Tutorial Services will continue to offer one-on-one tutoring sessions and Supplemental Instruction virtually from March 25th - May 3rd. Please go to our website for directions on how to schedule an appointment.  For more information email melissa.hoffner@unco.edu.

  • How will UNC Writing Center change?

    The Writing Center will continue to offer online, one-on-one consultation sessions using UNC's eTutoring option on the center's online scheduling system. Details on how to make these appointments are outlined on their website.

  • Is the Campus Recreation Center open?

    To help minimize health and safety risks to UNC students, employees and the campus community, the Campus Recreation Center suspended operations as of Tuesday, March 17th.

    The suspension of operations and services includes:

    • The Campus Recreation Center, Outdoor Pursuits Gear Shop, and Swimming Pool.
    • Fitness & Wellness, Intramural Sports, Club Sports, and Outdoor Pursuits programs.
    • All events scheduled at the Campus Recreation Center.

    Campus Recreation is posting workouts you can do from home on the UNC Fit Well Instagram page. Please visit the Recreation Center Website for more information.

  • How are campus mail services operating at this time?

    Mail Service and Warehouse Services will be on campus to receive and sort mail/packages only. We are not delivering to campus departments at this time. Packages for residence hall facilities and non-USPS large packages for Arlington Park Apartments will be routed through the campus warehouse. Students who receive a package will be emailed information about the package and how to claim the package. For campus faculty staff, and depa­rtments, Mail Services will email those who receive a package. You may email warehouse.contacts@unco.edu or call at 970-351-2026 to arrange for pickup of mail or packages.

    Arlington Park Apartments should be receiving both USPS packages and lettered mail normally unless the package is too large to deliver to the facility, in which case it will be delivered to the UNC warehouse. Other carriers, USPS, FedEx, etc. will deliver items to the UNC warehouse. UNC Houses should be receiving both USPS and all other deliveries as normal.

    UNC Residence Halls’ lettered mail is being delivered to Housing & Residential Education daily Monday-Friday. For our students who have checked out or are no longer residing on campus, lettered mail will be forwarded to the permanent address listed in URSA. Packages cannot be forwarded without paying for additional shipping. If you would like your package shipped to your home, you will be responsible for postal charges. If you are interested in a package being forwarded. Please email mail.services@unco.edu with the following information:

    • Tracking number for package (if available)
    • Residence Hall and Room Number
    • Student Full name
    • Phone Number
    • Forwarding address (We cannot forwarded to PO Boxes)

    UNC’s Mail Services will then provide you with a cost to send the package(s) via FedEx Home.

  • How do I count myself for the 2020 Census during COVID-19 times? 

    Before completing the 2020 Census, you need to know where to count yourself and who to count with you in your home. College students who live away from home should be counted at the on- or off-campus residence where they live and sleep most of the time, even if they are at home due to the COVID-19 protocols. UNC Housing staff will be reporting anyone living in the UNC Residence Halls, Arlington Park Apartments or University Owned Houses will be reported as on campus. Here’s a video to explain more. For more detailed information visit our UNC Census webpage


Facilities Management

  • Can I access my campus building? What if I left something in my office?

    Campus buildings are currently only accessible to those employees who have been designated as essential by the Vice Presidents and Deans, as well as students continuing to live in the residence halls. Normal key-card access to buildings is no longer permitted, and only designated personnel are able to access those buildings.

    If you forget something in a campus building and must access it during the campus closure, you may contact UNC Police Department Dispatch by phone at 970-351-2245 to schedule a time to gain access to the building. Please understand that officers may not be able to assist at the time that is most convenient to you, as they are responsible for attending to other issues and emergencies throughout the day. You must have your Bear Card to identify yourself and any keys necessary to enter your office or lab. You will be asked to leave the building after retrieving your belongings.

  • Are keys being issued?

    The service center will be working remotely.  We will have limited ability to issue keys during this time.  Please contact service.center@unco.edu or call 970-351-2446 for urgent key needs.

  • Where do I submit work orders at this time?

    Please submit urgent work orders through our TMA Portal Link. For emergencies, call 970-351-2446.

  • Are vehicles available for rent?

    Due to the closure of campus, vehicle rental has been suspended until further notice.

  • What if my bike was left on campus?

    UNCPD is going to tag bikes for removal from bike racks earlier than usual, to help deter thefts. The first wave of bike removal is complete, with another planned in mid-May. This process of tagging will begin starting Sunday, May 10, 2020. Students still on campus should remove the tag to indicate their bike is still in use.  Any bikes with the tags still on them on Wednesday,May 13, 2020 will be removed (Locks cut and bikes stored in secure UNCPD Storage) starting 10:00 a.m. Any students whose bikes are tagged that may not be on campus will be able to contact UNCPD to get their bike back with a description/serial number/etc. (See UNCPD’s guidelines)

    Bikes are generally stored for summer and arrangements can be made when Colorado’s stay at home orders are lifted. If you had a Campus Recreation Bike on campus, please reach out to Outdoor.Pursuits@unco.edu with questions on next steps.

Student Life


Please refer to the UNC Athletics COVID-19 Information page for up-to-date details.

Housing and Residence Halls - Spring 2020

Learn more on the COVID-19 Housing Updates page.


  • What is being done to make the dining halls safe for students?

    Our custodial teams are spending extra time disinfecting high touch surfaces throughout campus but also specifically in our dining halls. Additionally, any staff who are ill are being asked to stay home and not report to work.

    We have been in communication with and are following the direction of the Weld County Health Department regarding Coronavirus. The Weld Country Health Department is taking their guidance from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. At this time, the Health Inspectors have confirmed that we should continue with our current practices. If this changes, the Health Inspectors will let us know so that modifications can be made as directed.

  • When were the dining halls open during Spring 2020?

    Holmes Dining Hall (the Gourmet To Go area) was open from 10:30am-1:30pm, Monday through Sunday (starting this Sunday, March 22) for  Grab and Go meals.

    We also monitored the entrance to Holmes Dining Hall to only allow in a certain number of customers at a time. After March 17, we closed all of our Retail Dining locations on campus.

  • Is the Bear Pantry open?

    The Bear Pantry is operating limited hours for Grab and Go Pick-Up. Grab and Go Bags can be picked up Monday-Thursday from 11am-1pm on the 2nd floor of the University Center outside the main entrance. Please have your Bear Number on hand when you arrive, and adhere to all social distancing guidance. Any individuals on campus should remain more than six feet apart and wear masks covering the mouth and nose.

    Students experiencing food insecurity can also email bear.pantry@unco.edu to request Bear Share meals loaded on to their student ID. Students can redeem Bear Share swipes at Holmes Dining Hall. You must have your student ID with you to redeem Bear Share meals. View updated hours and operations at Holmes Dining Hall. 

Commencement and Graduation

Finances & Employment

Financial Issues (Fin Aid, Refunds, Parking, etc.) 

  • Will financial aid be available?

    For more information visit the Cares Act Emergency Funds webpage. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for further information at 970-351-4862 or ofa@unco.edu.

    For students receiving federal aid who may have to withdraw due to COVID-19, the Office of Financial Aid is still required to follow federal guidelines in determining impact on student financial aid and student will still be required to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal. However, OFA will work with the students on a streamed lined process for completing the process. 

  • What happens if my parents or I lose our jobs due to Coronavirus? How does this impact my future financial aid?

    If you or your parent(s) have been impacted financially by the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), or by other circumstances, either by loss of income, loss of employment, or other circumstances that significantly impact your or your family’s ability to pay for future educational expenses, the Office of Financial Aid may be able to take them into consideration.

    If you already have a Bear Verification account, log in to your account through Ursa and click on the blue button on the top right that says “Request”, and request a Family Contribution Appeal. If you do not have a Bear Verification account, you may contact the Office of Financial Aidat ofa@unco.edu briefly explaining your circumstances to start your request for an appeal. The appeal will be completed online, and you will need to provide documentation to support your appeal. We are here to help!

    Please note:

    • Loss of income must have occurred for 60 days or more prior to the date of appeal.
    • You will need to be able to document at least a 20% decrease in income for consideration.

    If you submit an appeal, please note that processing times usually are 2-3 weeks, and at times processing times may exceed 3 weeks. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at ofa@unco.edu.

  • What should I do if I use the Bear Pay payment plan?

    Questions about the Bear Pay payment plan should be directed to the Bursar's office - they will be handling on a case-by-case basis.

  • How can I complete verification now that campus is closed?

    The verification process at the University of Northern Colorado is completed online through the student’s Ursa account. Students and parents are able to use online based forms to complete verification and e-sign documents. View Instructions on how to create accounts and complete the verification process here. On that same site there are additional instructions on how parent(s) can set up their Bear Verification account.

    If students or parents need to provide other documents, like IRS Tax Return Transcripts, IRS 1040 Forms, W-2s, etc., our systems also allow students to upload pictures (clear and legible), or PDF files. These systems are operational, and files are being reviewed during business hours.

    If you experience issues creating your account or e-signing a document, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Financial Aid either via email at ofa@unco.edu or call our office at 970 351-4862 Ext. 1 during regular office hours.

  • I’m a veteran or military-affiliated student currently receiving VA education benefits. Will this change to online learning impact my basic allowance for housing (BAH)?

    There will be no change to your BAH at this time. Since Congress has passed S.3503, current BAH payments will remain the same either until January 1, 2021, or until the school resumes normal operations.

  • Will I receive a refund for my parking pass? 

    In light of UNC’s campus closure, Parking Services is issuing automatic refunds to students who paid for a 2019-20 annual parking permit on a pro-rated basis. Refunds will be the portion of the total permit cost for the year that reflects the period when campus was closed. Permits do not need to be returned to Parking Services to receive the refund. Refunds issued via direct deposit will be available starting the week of April 20. If you do not see a refund issued to your student bill by April 24, please contact Parking Services at parking@unco.edu. Refunds issued via check will be mailed out starting the week of April 20. 

    Payroll deductions for UNC employee parking permits will proceed as normal for the remainder of this academic year, but those employees will be reimbursed a pro-rated amount reflecting the period of time the campus was closed at the end of the academic year.

  • Will UNC be offering refunds or rebates for campus housing and dining? 

    Students who have either already checked out or who indicated that they will move out by having completed the Spring 2020 Housing Plans on or before Thursday, April 2 at 11:59 p.m. MST, will receive a prorated credit for housing and dining that will be applied to their Fall 2020 bill. This credit will be calculated from Monday, March 23 through Saturday, May 9, 2020, based on each student’s individual dining plan and current housing assignment.

    Students with questions regarding their student account, billing, registration or financial aid should contact Bear Central at 970-351-4862. Bear Central staff continue to work remotely at this time.

  • If I’m transferring, can I get a refund on my housing/dining fees?

    Refunds are only being issued to graduating seniors – all other students will receive a rebate into their student account. Students who are transferring or do not plan to return to UNC in the fall may consider making use of their Housing and Dining credits by taking online or in-person courses during Summer 2020, Fall 2020, or Spring 2021 terms. Prior to taking a course to transfer to another institution, students are encouraged to consult with their new institution about which UNC courses will transfer to their new academic program.

  •   I don't live on campus, but have a dining plan.  Will I get a credit? 

    Students who stopped using their meal plans after spring break will receive a dining credit applied to their student account for Fall 2020. The credit will be calculated from Monday, March 23 through Saturday, May 9, 2020. It will be visible in Ursa on a student’s Academic Year 2020-21 financial aid offer by late May and will be applied to Fall 2020 student account balances. Unused Dining Dollars will roll forward into Fall 2020 as Dining Dollars.  If your credit is not used for academic year 2020-21, it will be forfeited at the end of May 2021. 

    If you are a graduating student with no outstanding student account balance, your credit will be processed as a refund. Students who fulfill all graduation requirements can contact the financial aid office to initiate this refund.

Student Employment

International Students and Scholars

International New Students and Scholars - Visas, Travel and Starting a Program

  • I am supposed to start my program this summer. Can I still come? What about fall?

    As you know, institutions around the world have been shifting policy and course delivery in response to public health recommendations, including UNC, which has announced that UNC courses will remain online for the summer of 2020. That has an impact on our ability to host new international students this summer:

    International students currently outside of the US who would coming to study in the US for the first time in summer must have their I-20s or DS-2019s deferred Fall 2020. 

    For F-1 students who do not yet have a visa, most US Embassies and Consulates abroad are currently closed and visa interviews/processing is delayed for those that are open. We are hopeful that by Fall 2020 the COVID-19 pandemic will be more under control and students will be able to come to campus to begin their academic programs full time in a face to face setting.

    Even if a student already has a valid F-1 visa, they cannot meet the legal enrollment requirements, which require international students to enroll in a majority of classes face to face.

    Students who are already inside the United States in F-1 status with a valid I-20 and wish to transfer to UNC may be able to do so and maintain valid immigration status.

    J-1 Students and Scholars already in the United States should reach out to international.advising@unco.edu for assistance.

    International students who cannot physically come for the summer may be able to begin their programs of study with online courses while outside the United States, but will need to remain in contact with international.advising@unco.edu to determine eligibility for an I-20 and enrollment in the fall.

    At this time UNC expects to resume face to face classes in the fall (August 24th), so we hope to be able to host newly arrived international students with appropriate classes in the fall  If you are unable to obtain a visa and/or arrive by the time classes start, we can look at deferring your admission, or taking classes online and updating your I-20 for a spring 2021 arrival in the United States.

  • What happens with planned programs for Visiting Scholars?

    The Department of State has indicated that Exchange Visitor programs run as intended/designed, fully compliant with regulations – including required cross-cultural activities. Sponsors must monitor exchange programs to ensure they meet program objectives to the fullest extent possible. Sponsors must consider the health, safety and welfare of each exchange visitor to determine if programs are feasible under current conditions.

    The UNC campus is currently closed to all but essential personnel, and campus housing is only available for current students and scholars who remain here on an emergency basis.  Additionally, the State of Colorado is under a Safer at Home order, which may be further extended to protect the health and safety of residents.

    Our ability to appropriately administer the Exchange Visitor program is severely restricted under the circumstances, and as a result we cannot issue documents for new Exchange Visitors at this time.  We unfortunately must also postpone programs for Scholars who have documents, but have not yet arrived in the United States.

  • I need a visa to come in the U.S. as an international student or scholar. How do I get a visa right now?

    Although we have heard of a few appointments being scheduled for late fall, all U.S. Consulates have suspended routine visa services until further notice. This means that unless you have an emergency, you cannot currently apply for a visa.

    Please be in touch with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will make your visa application for additional information and updates on the resumption of normal operations.

    In the meantime, we are processing DS-2019 and I-20 requests in the order that they come in and will issue yours as soon as practicable and provide the information for you to schedule your appointment.

Current Students and Scholars - Travel 

Maintaining Current F or J Status

  • Now that UNC is online for the summer, how do I maintain my F or J status?

    SEVP will allow F and M students to temporarily count online classes toward a full course of study for the duration of the national emergency.  This applies whether you remain inside or outside the United States. and are taking the online classes elsewhere. This temporary provision is only in effect due to COVID-19 and only for schools that comply with the requirement to notify SEVP of any procedural changes within 10 business days (UNC has made these notifications), and only wile UNC is all or mostly online due to COVID-19.

    You should remain enrolled and engaged in your classes for the spring term and continue to make normal progress towards graduation.  You must also continue to update Ursa with your current physical living address in the United States. 

    If you haven’t already done so, or if your plans have changed, we ask that you complete our survey so that we can keep your immigration in the correct status, and it helps us make sure that we can update your immigration records appropriately and show that you continue to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status, as well as assisting as we can with health and well being.

    Complete Survey

    The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is providing guidance online and updating regularly.

  • I want to speak with an immigration advisor, but your office is closed. How do I get help?

    UNC has closed campus building  but most offices are open for business – just not in person. You can still reach the ISSS team through email or phone. We can set up an advising appointment through Microsoft Teams. We are definitely still here for you.

  • How can I connect with other international students and scholars when there is a stay-at-home order?

    CIE will be offering weekly engagement opportunities with peer advisors and with staff, please watch our social media accounts for details coming soon.

Academic Concerns

  • Can I legally take the S/U option that is now available for spring?

    Yes, immigration regulations allow you to take the S/U option for any or all of your classes at this time.  It does not have an impact on your immigration status.  We do strongly advise discussing the option with your academic advisor before making any decisions, because there may be program impacts.

    Sponsored students should verify with their sponsor before electing the S/U option for any class.  Please be aware that sponsoring agencies are responding to the crisis according to their own policies, procedures, and timelines, which may change at any time to adapt to the situation.  UNC may or may not get formal notifications of changes, so it is very important for situation.  UNC may or may not get formal notifications of changes, so it is very important for you to remain in touch with your financial sponsor and follow their guidelines at all times. 

  • I’m not sure I should take classes online – either because of my visa status or because I don’t think I’m good at learning online.  Can I drop some or all of my classes?

    To maintain F-1 status, international students are required to maintain a full course load during the spring semester while UNC is online as a response to COVID-19.  You may not drop classes unless you have received permission from ISSS for a reduced course load.  However, if you are not able to cope for health or other reasons during the emergency, we may be able to approve a reduced course load.

    For most students summer is not a required academic term, so even when there is not a national emergency, taking classes online in the summer does not generally have an impact on your F-1 status.  J-1 students should discuss the situation with their international advisor.

  • I want/need to change my term of graduation because of athletic eligibility, or I can’t finish my classes, or a reason more directly related to COVID-19. What do I do?

     If you will not complete your degree requirements by the end date of your I-20 or DS-2019 for any reason, you must file a request to extend your immigration record with the Center for International Education. The request must be submitted before your I-20 or DS-2019 expires. An immigration extension request will involve demonstrating a valid reason for the extension (completing a second major or a minor, documented difficulties with dissertation, or other valid reason), support from your academic advisor, as well as your ability to pay for the additional expenses associated with continuing your studies.

    For sponsored students or students with scholarships (including UNC athletics), you will need to request an extension of your sponsorship or scholarship and provide the proof of an approved extension (updated scholarship letter, financial guarantee, etc) before your immigration documents can be extended If you have applied for graduation, and need to change your term, you also need to email graduation@unco.edu , with an update to your academic plan showing when you will complete your degree, and your graduation date can be changed.

  • If I leave the US and I do not come back for fall, because of travel restrictions or safety concerns, can I continue my studies until I return or finish my degree from home?

    There is not a simple answer for this question.  In some cases, classes may be available online that fit in with your academic program, but in other cases, missing a semester may put you a full year behind in your program.  Individual students may be anywhere between these extremes. It is important to discuss your academic concerns with your academic advisor so that they can help you sort out the best options in your particular program.

    Jacob Sutton, your immigration advisor, can help you walk through the impact those decisions will have on immigration.

    If you are part of a dual degree program with a partner university outside the United States, you also need to be in contact with that university to discuss your options.

Employment Concerns

Economic Concerns

  • Can I apply for Economic Hardship Work Authorization based on COVID-19?

     Students may apply for economic hardship work authorization from USCIS under 8 CFR 214.2(f)(9)(ii) at any time unforeseen and unforeseeable circumstances beyond a student's control create a serious financial burden. An economic hardship authorization permits a student to engage in off-campus employment for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session or full time during official breaks. Authorizations are given in one-year increments and may be renewed as needed.

    COVID-19 does not in and of itself create grounds for economic hardship work authorization.  Students wishing to apply must document circumstances which “may include loss of financial aid or on-campus employment without fault on the part of the student, substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rate, inordinate increases in tuition and/or living costs, unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student's source of support, medical bills, or other substantial and unexpected expenses.

    It is important to understand that the fee for applications is currently $410, and the time from application to possible approval of the request is at least three months.  It may be wise to wait a few weeks to see if USCIS will offer Special Student Relief due to COVID-19, rather than spending the time and energy on an expensive application.  However, students who wish to apply may contact international.advising@unco.edu.  A new I-20 with an economic hardship authorization recommendation is required as a part of the application.

  • I have been told there is something called “Special Student Relief” I can apply for because of COVID-1?

    The USCIS Special Situations webpage does mention Special Student Relief (SSR) for F-1 students, however, it does not currently go on to explain that Special student Relief is available only if the Department of Homeland Security publishes a specific notice in the Federal Register to activate SSR for a particular group based on a particular set of circumstances. Those notices also specifically define the benefits that may be available to individuals impacted by the emergent circumstances the notice is responding to.   As of this writing, no such notice has been published for COVID-19.

    Should a Federal Register notice regarding COVID-19 be published authorizing Special Student Relief, we will provide the information as soon as possible.

  • I have read that the U.S. Government is giving out a relief check.  Will international students or scholars get a check?

    This is a complicated question, thanks to Carol Holz, formerly of the University of Alaska, Fairbanks and Kostelanetz & Fink, LLP, we have some tentative answers to share.

    In addition to U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents, the CARES Act appears to provide the credit to those who are residents for U.S. tax purposes, based on the substantial presence test.  However, the tax residents must have a valid social security number.  Married couples where one has an SSN and the other spouse has an ITIN or no number appear to be ineligible.

    Thanks to tax attorneys Kostelanetz & Fink for their summary of the act for easy referencing to the actual bill.  For quick reference, the relevant portion is included below.

    " III.     Tax Provisions Applicable to Individuals

    "Recovery Rebates-Individual US taxpayers will receive "recovery rebates" of up to $1,200 for single filers ($2,400 for joint filers), increased by $500 for each qualifying child. For single filers, this payment begins phasing out by $5 for every $100 over $75,000 of income ($150,000 for joint filers, and $112,500 for heads of household). The payment would be completely eliminated for single filers with incomes of more than $99,000 ($198,000 for joint filers).

    "All US individuals are eligible for these payments except (1) nonresident aliens; (2) individuals who can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer; and (3) an estate or trust. Eligible individuals are required to provide a Social Security number for themselves, their spouse (if filing jointly), and any child for whom the additional $500 credit is claimed.[2] Taxpayers with ITINs are not eligible for the credit.[3]

    "[2] Adoption taxpayer ID numbers ("ATINs") are also acceptable.

    "[3] Thus, married couples filing jointly would be ineligible for the credit if one spouse has an ITIN and the other has an SSN. If at least one spouse is a member of the armed forces, then this requirement is relaxed and only one spouse must provide an SSN."

    There is some question as to how/when this will be paid.  The language in the actual bill is extremely complicated.  As we know from immigration bills, when it comes to actual implementation, the devil is in the details.  The same applies to tax.

  • I’ve read about the US Department of Education making funds available to students through schools. As an international student, how do I apply for a grant through UNC?

    Federal guidance indicates that only students who qualify for something called Title IV funding, which requires US citizenship or legal permanent residency can receive funds under the CARES act, so international students will not be eligible to receive these grants. 

    UNC is exploring additional options to support international students and scholars facing hardship under the current circumstances. Additional information on possible grants or scholarships for international students will be forthcoming.

    If you have immediate concerns regarding rent or food security, you can reach out to Student Outreach and Support or ISSS can help you reach out to the CARE Team.

Insurance Concerns 

  • Will my health insurance cover care if I get coronavirus here? I do not have the UNC SHIP Plan.

    UNC can’t answer this question for you because every insurance company has different exemptions.   The only way to know what your plan will or will NOT cover is by contacting your insurance carrier to find out.  You can also look at your policy booklet or plan website -- look for exemptions or things that are NOT covered.

    We have tried to reach out to the students who might be in the situation, and will add them to UNC SHIP for spring unless they document pandemic coverage in their alternate plan, but we urge everyone with a waiver to verify directly with your insurance company that they will cover testing and care for the new coronavirus.

    If your insurance does not cover care during pandemic situations, please sign up for SHIP insurance, please complete a re-enrollment form and email it to Nicky Weglin  immediately to request the insurance. 

    SHIP will provide coverage through August 16, 2020; the cost is $1310, which will be added to your tuition bill, so you pay the Bursar’s Office.  Your insurance will be activated as quickly as possible through the emergency add option with our insurance carrier.  Please do not wait to request the insurance if you are remaining here and your current insurance does not have pandemic coverage.

  • Will the SHIP plan cover care if I get coronavirus here? 

    If you have the UNC SHIP plan, yes, you have coverage (subject to regular limitations on network  providers and similar provisions).  Keep in mind that no American insurance covers all possible costs of an illness or injury. You do have deductibles and co-pays.

    SHIP will cover COVID-19 testing for students that are symptomatic (you cannot just got to the Student Health Center for testing because you want to check but have no symptoms).

    The SHC is open for patient care right now Monday’s Wednesday’s and Fridays from 9-3. Students always need to call ahead (970-351-2412) before coming to Cassidy whether you are sick or need a well patient visit (like getting an HPV vaccine). 

    If you are sick when the SHC is closed, they encourage you to call the Family Walk-In clinic (970-584-2100)and go there for basic sick care, but if any student is extremely ill and needs immediate medical care, they should go to the emergency room at North Colorado Medical Center, which is an “in-network” hospital for students on the SHIP plan.  

International Student Resources

Education Abroad

Summer and Fall 2020 

  • What travel restrictions are in place at UNC?

    All non-essential faculty, staff, and student university international travel is suspended until further notice per most recent university announcements.

    This suspension extends to incoming international exchange students and visiting scholars, outbound international exchange programs, international student teaching and internships, service learning abroad, international independent student research and all other university-sponsored programs with partner institutions and affiliated third party providers that occur abroad. It does not, however, include international students who are enrolled as UNC degree seeking students.

    CIE will work with impacted students on study abroad program options for 2021 and beyond. 

    Faculty and staff seeking to conduct “Essential Travel” must receive the approval of the Provost. 

    Colorado is currently under a Safer at Home Order. Please refer to this page for updates on Colorado-specific guidelines
  • Should I consider travel domestically or internationally?

    In addition to the restrictions for all university-related travel, the university strongly recommends all members of our community reconsider personal travel plans at this time. Please be aware the CDC is closely monitoring the situation, and that any country could quickly receive travel restrictions. Please visit current CDC guidelines regarding travel.

    Our team is available to respond to any questions or specific concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us through the channels below:  

    • 24/7 UNC International Emergency Phone - +1-970-576-9572 (call or text) 
    • General Education Abroad inquiries: study.abroad@unco.edu
    • Brandy Tackett, Interim Director for Education Abroad – Brandy.Tackett@unco.edu, +1-970-351-1333
    • Olga Baron, Executive Director for CIE – Olga.Baron@unco.edu, +1-509-570-2524 

    For information about UNC’s COVID-19 response and university decisions, please check the dedicated UNC COVID-19 webpage for regular updates.   

  • I have seen the notice that all UNC study abroad programs for Summer and Fall 2020 are canceled. However, my host university/affiliate provider has not closed and is still holding classes. Can I still go on my program and complete my semester abroad?

    UNC has officially canceled all summer and fall 2020 study abroad programs worldwide. The U.S. Department of State Level 4-Avoid Non-Essential Travel advisory for U.S. citizens remains in effect. Some affiliate providers offer virtual exchanges and remote engagements. Students with specific concerns should contact the Education Abroad team for further assistance.

    Our team is available to respond to any questions or specific concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us through the channels below:  

    • 24/7 UNC International Emergency Phone - +1-970-576-9572 (call or text) 
    • General Education Abroad inquiries: study.abroad@unco.edu
    • Brandy Tackett, Interim Director for Education Abroad – Brandy.Tackett@unco.edu, +1-970-351-1333
    • Olga Baron, Executive Director for CIE – Olga.Baron@unco.edu, +1-509-570-2524 

    For information about UNC’s COVID-19 response and university decisions, please check the dedicated UNC COVID-19 webpage for regular updates.   

  • UNC has allowed the option for satisfactory/unsatisfactory grades for classes. Can I do that for my study abroad classes?

    Grades for study abroad classes are determined by your host university, so switching those grades to satisfactory/unsatisfactory through UNC is not an available option for you. Please connect with your host university if you want to pursue a satisfactory/unsatisfactory or other alternative grade options. Also, please ensure you speak with your academic advisor about pursuing this option.

  • When will I get my application fee refund for Summer or Fall 2020 study abroad programs?

    Refunds for summer applicants have already gone out; if you have not received your refund please contact the Education Abroad team at study.abroad@unco.edu

    We are committed to working with students to facilitate education abroad programming.   As such, we will work with students individually regarding deferral options to accommodate their specific situations, timelines, and needs. 

    Fall and academic year students who are deferring to spring semester: since you are still planning on going abroad the application fee will still be held.

    For those not deferring to Spring semester, the app fee will be refunded by June 30.Should circumstances change please notify the Education Abroad team at study.abroad@unco.edu

Spring 2020 

Health & Community


  • Are COVID-19 screenings available at UNC?

    The UNC Student Health Center provides testing services for UNC Students and UNC Staff/Faculty.  Anyone wanting testing must call in advance to schedule an appointment time, and all getting tested must bring a current insurance card for insurance billing and a photo ID.  Call 970-351-2412 for more information as the health center has limited hours in the summer. 

    If you are NOT a UNC student/staff/faculty member, please contact the Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment to find out testing options available to you.

  • Should I wear a mask when I am out and about on-campus?

    In order to protect the health of our campus community and to do our part to flatten the curve as the virus spreads, it is required that all individuals wear masks when on-campus. 

    All UNC essential personnel working on campus will be wearing masks to provide essential services. UNC recognizes that some individuals may feel uncomfortable wearing a mask or may have a sense of fear wearing a mask due to identity-biases or social stereotypes. We ask our community to consider adjusting to these new pandemic protocols to protect the health and safety of our community while being mindful of context and individual choice.

    Resources to get or make a mask:

  • What information is available regarding treating COVID-19 symptoms using Chloroquine without a prescription?

    The Center for Disease Control has issued an official Health Advisory regarding treating severe illness associated with non-pharmaceutical Chloroquine Phosphate. 

    CDC Health Advisory

  • What happens when there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the UNC community?

    The first COVID-19 case at UNC was reported to campus on Tuesday, March 24. The individual and anyone who worked closely with them has been in touch with the Weld County Department of Public Health. The same precautions will be taken for future cases.

    UNC President Andy Feinstein previously announced that UNC's campus operations would be limited to essential personnel beginning at 5 p.m. Tuesday, March 17. Since that time, faculty and staff have been permitted only limited access to facilities over Spring Break and until 5 p.m. Friday, March 27, to access any remaining materials they need to provide instruction and complete other work from home. Feinstein has also announced:

    • Transitioning all in-person classes to alternate delivery for the remainder of the spring semester
    • Canceling all in-person events and meetings for the remainder of the spring semester
    • Postponing Spring Commencement ceremonies (alternate plans are in the works)
    • Encouraging students who are able to live off campus to do so after Spring Break 

    UNC is undertaking these and other proactive steps in order to ensure the safety of all students, faculty, and staff. We will continue to actively monitor the health of our community and communicate about the wide variety of effects the pandemic response is having on our daily lives and operations.

  • If I test positive for Covid-19, do I need to report that to UNC?

    It depends where you live. If you live off campus and have not been on campus the past 14 days, you do not need to report to UNC. The county health department in your area will work with you on proper notifications. If you are in the Greeley area, live on campus, or have been on campus the last 14 days and you were notified you DID test positive, you should notify UNC. Email Cindy.vetter@unco.edu with your contact information and you will receive a call back. When we call you, we will need details on when, where and who did your test. The Weld County Department of Public Health will work with UNC in making notifications from there after they confirm the test results with the testing office.

  • What are the signs and symptoms of COVID-19?

    For confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases, reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death. Symptoms can include:

    • Fever
    • Cough
    • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
    • Chills
    • Repeated shaking with chills
    • Muscle pain
    • Headache
    • Sore throat
    • Loss of taste or smell

    CDC believes at this time that symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in as few as two days or as long as 14 days after exposure. This is based on what has been seen previously as the incubation period of MERS-CoV viruses.

  • What can I do to prevent COVID-19?

    According to the CDC, wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, avoid close contact with people who are sick, and stay home as much as possible.  View entire list here.

    See this CDC page for guidance on wearing masks (and instructions for making them).

  • What should I do if I have symptoms of COVID-19?

    If you're experiencing symptoms, isolate yourself and don't go to work, school or events. Call your health care provider for phone screening and further instructions.

    If it's decided you should have further testing the Weld County Health Department official will direct you to a location.

    If you're well enough to function independently, please don't take a friend or support person with you. This will help alleviate the time needed for the medical staff to perform screening.

  • What should I do if I suspect I'm sick or think my roommate is sick?

    View CDC Guidelines

    Students: If you're sick with any type of illness, please call the UNC Student Health Center at 970-351-2412 or your healthcare provider. Don't go to a health facility — call first. Notify your faculty about any expected absences. If you have further concerns, please call Student Outreach and Support within the Dean of Students office at 970-351-2798.

    If you suspect that it may be the coronavirus (COVID-19), please call the health department helpline at 970-304-6410.

  • How do I access the COVID-19 test? What if I cannot afford it?

    Cost of testing should not be a barrier for access to the COVID-19 test. Please refer to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment for COVID-19 testing support and resources in Colorado.

  • What to do if you're feeling fearful or anxious?

    Although COVID-19 is a health issue that is being taken very seriously by the university and public health authorities worldwide, don't let your worry about this virus control your life. There are many simple and effective ways to manage your fears and anxieties. Many of them are essential ingredients for a healthy lifestyle; adopting them can help improve your overall emotional and physical well-being.

    • Get the facts: it's helpful to stay up to date with credible news sources. The best place to get accurate, updated information on COVID-19 is on the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website
    • Keep things in perspective: Limit worry and agitation by lessening the time you spend watching or listening to upsetting media coverage. Although you’ll want to keep informed — especially if you have loved ones in affected countries/states — remember to take a break from watching the news and focus on the things that are positive in your life and the things you have control over.
    • Be mindful of your assumptions about others: Someone who has a cough or a fever does not necessarily have COVID-19 – the nation is also experiencing a significant flu season. Self-awareness is important in not stigmatizing others in our community.

    For further support contact the UNC Counseling Center at 970-351-2496.

  • I'm considered high risk. What should I do?

    Per the Centers for Disease Control, high risk is defined as:

    • Older adults
    • People who have serious chronic medical conditions, such as:
      • Heart disease
      • Diabetes
      • Lung disease
  • I know about HIPAA and FERPA, but how will my information be shared if I’m a possible COVID-19 patient?

    UNC is following guidance from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services regarding disclosure of information about COVID-19 patients. Certain information can be shared with public health authorities or persons determined to be at-risk. Full guidance is posted here.

 How can I help those affected by the COVID-19 outbreak?

Still have Questions?