Information for Parents & Guests
Watching someone you support graduate is a powerful moment. You’ll be able to see them truly come into their own person—a once-in-a-lifetime event.
Doors for reach ceremony will open one hour prior to the ceremony. All seating is available on a first-come, first-serve basis (including accessible seating).
You and everyone around you are all here for the same reason. It’s important to be respectful by observing the etiquette guidelines listed here.
- The speakers and University President have to have somewhere to stand as they congratulate the new alumni, and so the area near the stage is restricted before and during the ceremony.
- Please do not block emergency exits or aisles or stand on bleachers or chairs. This can become a fire hazard, and would be unsafe for you and those around you.
- Everyone’s eyes are on their grad, so please don’t block the view of those around you.
- Silence your cell phone during the ceremony.
- Please remove hats and/or ball caps during the National Anthem, Alma Mater and Honor Guard presentation of colors.
Guests may bring personal items and bags smaller than 12x6x12 inches; but the following items are not permitted:
- Alcoholic beverages, tobacco, marijuana or other illegal substances
- Glass bottles or metal cans
- Animals (other than certified service animals)
- Artificial noise makers
- Coolers, beverages, Bota bags, wine skins or outside food
- Firearms or weapons
- Fireworks, drones or laser pointers
- Selfie sticks, tripods, monopods, flags or poles
- Strollers in the seating area
- Skateboards or bicycles