Frequently Asked Commencement Questions
- Do I need a ticket to attend commencement?
All guests must have a ticket to enter the Bank of Colorado Arena. Guests must obtain a ticket directly from their graduate prior to the ceremony. Graduates will receive electronic tickets and these can be shared digitally or printed out. Tickets are valid for one entry per person.
- Are tickets required for children?
Tickets are required for all children over the age of two. Children under the age of two must sit on the lap of a family member.
- I have questions about my tickets.
For questions about tickets or to report issues, please contact the UNC Ticket Office at 970-351-4849. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- I'm graduating. Do I need a ticket to attend commencement?
Congratulations! Graduating students will not require a ticket to attend the ceremony at which they will receive their diploma. However, your guests will need a ticket to enter the Bank of Colorado Arena.
- What time should I arrive to participate in the ceremony?
Plan to arrive at least 45 minutes prior to the ceremony so that you can check in and line up with your peers.
- I'm graduating from multiple colleges. How do I know which one I should walk with?
The choice is completely up to you. Your affiliated colleges will be prepared to assist you at whichever ceremony you choose.
- Is there a rehearsal for the ceremony?
There is no rehearsal. Graduation staff will help you line up in the right place, and faculty marshals will guide you through the ceremony. If you're nervous or curious, you may watch the recordings of previous ceremonies on the university YouTube channel!
- How do I request accommodations for the ceremony?
- Do I have to wear a mask to attend the ceremony?
No, face coverings are optional on campus.
- What are the guidelines for decorating my cap?
You may decorate your cap however you like as long as it does not include anything inappropriate or obstruct the view of graduates seated behind you.
- Will I be ok wearing high heels?
Commencement participation involves significant walking and graduates are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes.
Stiletto heels are prohibited in the arena to protect the surfaces in UNC's athletic venues.
- How long is the ceremony?
Most ceremonies last from 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on the number of graduates present.
- Can I watch the ceremony from anywhere? Will there be a recording available afterward?
- Is there accessible seating available?
There is designated accessible seating along the first row of bleachers in Bank of Colorado Arena.
- Where can I park?
UNC parking lots around campus are open to the public during Commencement weekend and permits are not required.
Bank of Colorado Arena: Primary parking is located in Lots Y, L, and M, with overflow parking in D, B, E, and C. View parking map.
There are a number of accessible parking spaces near the venue(s). These spaces are reserved for vehicles that display the appropriate state-issued hang tags or license plates. Parking can only be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Guests are asked to follow all parking and traffic signage, including posted restrictions. UNC's campus borders several neighborhoods where street parking and traffic directions may be restricted.
- What can I bring to the ceremony?
Feel free to bring personal items such as purses, camera bags and diaper bags. Backpacks and balloons are not permitted inside the arena. Bank of Colorado Arena is an official venue of UNC Athletics, please visit the Athletics Game Day Policies page for additional information regarding guest conduct and prohibited items.
- Are animals allowed inside ceremony venues?
Any certified service animal is welcome anywhere on campus. Pets that are not certified service animals will not be allowed to enter the ceremony venue.
- Where can I stay and dine in Greeley?
Greeley offers guests several lodging and dining options. Guests are encouraged to use the Visit Greeley directory for a complete list of partners.
- How do I make sure my name appears in the program?
Students must apply to graduate by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, October 1, 2023 to guarantee their name appears in the program. Students who apply to graduate after this deadline are welcome to participate in the ceremony but will not have their name in the program.
Applications for each ceremony are available below:
- How do I rent regalia? Can I purchase regalia to own?
Your years of hard work are almost complete, and your cap and gown are important symbols of your achievement. Order your cap and gown online through Herff Jones and choose to have your regalia shipped directly to you or pick it up on campus. Rental orders must be placed online by 9:59 p.m. MDT on Tuesday, October 31, 2023. Gowns and hoods must be returned following the ceremony.
If you are interested in owning your regalia, you can visit the site below to purchase regalia to own.
Remember purchased regalia is made to order and has a standard lead time of 6-8 weeks (shipping not included). If you intend to purchase regalia, please make sure you leave plenty of time to ensure that your regalia order will arrive in time for your ceremony. Additionally, since all items on this site are made to order, all sales are considered final. Please use caution when ordering from this site and ensure that all of the information you are providing is accurate. If you are uncertain on something, like which color hood to order, please reach out to our local Herff Jones representative for assistance
Local Representative: Alex Frieler firstname.lastname@example.org
- What are the regalia refund policies?
UNC partners with Herff Jones to provide regalia rental to all graduates. Please see their policies below.
- Herff Jones Refund Policy
- Caps, Tassels, Gowns, and Regalia Accessories (i.e. Stoles): A refund will be provided so long as the product is unused and unopened. Refunds must be requested within two weeks after the ceremony. Keeper products being returned by students are returned at their expense. Certain customized and year dated products are not eligible for refund or return. Please reach out to Herff Jones customer service if you have specific questions.
- Announcements and Fine Paper Accessories: All sales are final. Please review proofs carefully before finalizing orders.
- Frames: Refund must be requested within 1 month of the product being delivered to the customer.
- Class Rings: All sales are final.
We stand by our products and will offer refunds on any product if a manufacturing or material defect is present.
- Herff Jones Customer Service
- Herff Jones Refund Policy
- What are my options for photos?
Each graduate has a portrait taken in front of a green screen at the side of the stage and a photo taken on the stage with your diploma cover. You will receive an email when your proofs are ready and you can choose whether to purchase photos at that point. Because portraits are in front of a green screen, you will have several background options to choose from. View and order photos here.
- What does the graduation fee cover?
The graduation fee covers the cost of processing and posting a student’s degree. All graduating students are assessed the graduation fee independent of their participation in a commencement ceremony.
- How do I get my diploma?
Graduates receive their diplomas via mail following completion of the semester and verification of academic requirements.
- I'm a journalist interested in covering UNC's Commencement. Who do I need to contact?
Contact the university's News and PR team to request credentials at least two days before the ceremonies.
- Who should I contact with additional questions?
For questions about the Commencement ceremony, contact University Advancement at 970-351-2551 or email email@example.com.