Frequently Asked Commencement Questions
- When will the May 2020 Commencement ceremonies be rescheduled?
Spring and summer 2020 graduates will be recognized during a special ceremony, rescheduled to take place during the Fall 2020 graduation weekend, December 11-13. Ceremony details will be emailed to graduates and published on the commencement website.
- Will I receive a refund to the graduation fee?
The graduation fee covers the cost of processing and posting a student’s degree, covering the ordering and postage of the diploma. All graduating students are assessed the graduation fee independent of their participation in a commencement ceremony.
- May I purchase regalia to own?Yes, students may order regalia to own through regalia vendor Herff Jones.
- How long is the ceremony?
We know grad ceremonies can be lengthy, but we are here to celebrate each grad and their achievement. The size of the graduating class varies at each ceremony, meaning they can last anywhere from 1.5 – 2.5 hours.
- How do I get my diploma?
Graduates receive their diplomas via mail following completion of the semester and verification of academic requirements.
- How do I order photos taken at graduation?
- Do I need a ticket to get into the ceremony?
No, tickets are not required, though bear in mind that seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Doors open one hour before the ceremony, so get your seats early! Once the venue has reached capacity, guests will be redirected to a different overflow location to watch the live broadcast.
- What about inclement weather?
If necessary, ceremonies at Nottingham Field will be moved indoors to Butler Hancock Athletic Center. Inclement weather decisions will be announced at 11 a.m. the Wednesday before the ceremony through multiple channels (the UNC website, Twitter, Facebook and an email to the student).
Inclement weather will change the start time of all graduation ceremonies. No exceptions can be made, and inclement weather decisions are not reversed.
- What can I bring to the ceremony?
Feel free to bring personal items such as purses, camera bags and diaper bags. We do ask that guests refrain from bringing backpacks into the venue. Keep in mind that personal items are subject to search by the UNC Police Department
- Is there accessible seating for people with disabilities?
We ask that extended families sit in the row of seating above the accessibility seating to accommodate other guests. Don’t forget, seating is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Where do I park?
UNC parking lots around campus are open to the public during Commencement weekend and permits are not required. View parking map.
- Is there disability parking near the venues?
There are a number of disability-marked parking spaces near the venue(s). These spaces are reserved for vehicles that display the appropriate state-issued hang tags or license plates. Parking, as with seating, can only be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Can I watch the ceremony from anywhere?
We’re proud of our graduates, so we livestream the entire ceremony! Just visit the commencement homepage to view the livestream and watch your grad cross the stage from anywhere.
- I’m a journalist interested in reporting on Commencement and taking photos for my
publication, who should I get in touch with?
Check-in and distribution of event credentials will be located in Butler-Hancock Hall, Room 195. You will be required to present your ID and meet the criteria stated above.
- Can I bring my pet?
Any certified service animal is welcome anywhere on campus. Pets that are not certified service animals won’t be permitted at graduation ceremonies.
- I lost an item at the ceremony, where is lost and found located?
- Where can I stay in Greeley?
- Who should I contact with additional questions?