Jump to main content

COVID-19: News and Campus Updates

Coronavirus icon       Coronavirus  Spring Operations  COVID-19 Digest
When visiting ASAP, wear a mask and follow all signs and posted placards to keep the UNC community healthy.

I Don't Know Where to Start

It is completely normal for a survivor to feel overwhelmed after experiencing some form of gender-based violence.  Often, survivors are not sure what to do or who to talk to and they may not even know how to feel or talk about their experience.  It is not uncommon for survivors to feel unsure about whether they want to report an incident of gender-based violence to the university or law enforcement. All of those feelings are valid and okay.  We want you to know that it is your right to not report an incident to the university or law enforcement if you do not want the incident to be investigated. You are NOT required to provide additional information about the incident or participate in a university investigation in order to receive support and services. Our goal is to provide you with information on reporting options so you can make an informed decision.  The choice to share you story and/or seek services is entirely up to you to decide.  It is okay if you choose not to access any of these resources, but if you would like to, we hope the information on this page will be helpful.  If you have any further questions or concerns, please reach out to ASAP--we are here to support you. 

Confidential vs. Not Confidential

It is important for students to know that most employees of the University of Northern Colorado (including staff, faculty, coaches, and student employees such as resident assistants) are required reporters. Required reporters are mandated by university policy to report to the administration any information they receive about sexual harassment, including sexual assault, domestic or dating violence, gender-based harassment or bullying, and stalking. Once the university receives this information, the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance is required by law to provide services to the survivor as well as investigate the reported incident.

The University of Northern Colorado does have some confidential resources on campus, though.  We recommend that if a student is unsure about whether they would like to file a report with the university or law enforcement they can contact one of the confidential resources first to talk through their options.  The survivor can always choose to file a report at a later time, but speaking to a confidential resource first will give the survivor more power to choose what is best for them.  ASAP advocates can speak with you about reporting processes and help you make an informed decision that feels best for you.  

Confidential Support Options

ASAP, the UNC Counseling Center, and UNC Student Legal Services are all confidential resources on campus.

Not Confidential Support Options

The Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance, Student Outreach and Success, and the Dean of Students Office are all nonconfidential resources on campus.

On Campus vs. Off Campus

Regardless of where you experienced gender-based violence, you have several resources that can support you both on and off campus. Off campus resources are not required to report to the university and are not employed by the university.  Both off campus resources and ASAP can assist you in legal processes and obtaining legal protection orders. On campus resources will be able to assist you in any campus related needs, such as: residence hall and academic accommodations, financial aid and on campus employment accommodations, and obtaining campus protection orders.  

Off Campus Support Options

The Sexual Assault Victim Advocate Center (SAVA), Women Incested Needing Group Support (WINGS), A Woman's Place, and North Range Behavioral Health are all off campus support options in Greeley, Colorado.

Reporting to Law Enforcement vs. Reporting to UNC

You have the right to choose whether you feel comfortable reporting to law enforcement or to the University of Northern Colorado.  It is okay if you choose not to file a report.  When reporting to law enforcement, you will need to report to the police department that has jurisdiction over the location where the crime occurred.  For example, if reporting a sexual assault in Greeley, you would need to report to Greeley Police Department.  Please know that ASAP advocates can assist you in deciding whether you would like to report to law enforcement and we can also go with you to any meetings you may have with law enforcement and detectives.  If your case progresses to trial, ASAP advocates can also be with you through the legal process.

If you are a student of the University of Northern Colorado, you also have the choice to report to the University through either UNC Police (if the crime occurred on campus) or through the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance (OIEC).  While the OIEC office is not a legal entity and does not lead to a court case or trial, the University is federally mandated through Title IX to investigate the crime, remedy the effects, and prevent its reoccurrence.  You can file both a legal report with law enforcement and a report to the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance. 

Medical Support

Another important consideration for survivors is whether you have any medical concerns (such as injuries or preventive care for STI's and pregnancy) or whether you would like evidence collected with a forensic exam kit (sometimes called a SAFE kit, rape kit, or SANE kit). If you choose to have evidence collected at the hospital, you have 3 reporting options: 1) Anonymous Report, 2) Medical Report, or 3) Law Enforcement Report.  If you choose an Anonymous Report, no identifiable information will be given to police and you do not have to file a law enforcement report; the evidence will be collected (but not tested) and saved for up to two years in case you choose to file a report at a later time.  A Medical Report does not involve filing a report with police and they do not receive any identifiable information, but the evidence collected will be tested.  A Law Enforcement Report involves filing a report with police, having your name and information connected to your evidence kit, and having the evidence tested. Please note: regardless of which option you choose--including Anonymous--law enforcement will pay for the forensic exam kit and you will not be required to pay. However, if you see a physician prior to seeing the SANE Nurse, you will be billed for the physician visit.  If you are unable to pay that cost or are worried about your parents receiving the insurance bill, you have the right to refuse the physician visit and be seen only by a SANE Nurse.  

Short informational video about reporting options to law enforcement when getting a SANE exam at the hospital

SANE Exam Reporting Options

Fact sheet on the access and methods of payment for Medical Forensic Exams in Colorado

Medical Forensic Exams Fact Sheet

Helpful flow chart of SANE exam and payment methods

SANE Exam Payment Flow Chart

Information Sheet for Patients on Obtaining Test Results Following a Drug Facilitated Sexual Assault Screening

Non Reporting: How to Obtain Drug Test Results

Medical Support Options

The UNC Student Health Center and the North Colorado Medical Center can both provide medical support.  The North Colorado Medical Center hospital has Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) while the campus Student Health Center does not.