Jump to main content

COVID-19: News and Campus Updates

Coronavirus icon       Coronavirus  Spring Operations  COVID-19 Digest
When visiting ASAP, wear a mask and follow all signs and posted placards to keep the UNC community healthy.

Help From Law Enforcement

It is your right to report any situation to law enforcement--the choice is yours. In non-emergency situations, if the incident occurred on campus, contact the University of Northern Colorado Police Department at 970‑351‑2245.  If the incident occurred off-campus, you would need to contact and report the crime to the police department in the location where the crime occurred.  If you are not sure who to contact, or would like help in making a report, call ASAP's crisis line at any time at 970-351-4040. An advocate can accompany you to meet with campus or local law enforcement to support you through that process.

You can also see a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) in the Emergency Room of North Colorado Medical Center where you can receive a free forensic exam from a specially trained nurse to collect evidence in case you wish to pursue criminal action.  If you are unsure whether you want to report to law enforcement, evidence can still be collected anonymously and you can choose to file a police report at a later date. to learn more about medical forensic exams.  Please know that an advocate can accompany you to the hospital as well.  

If you are not sure whether you would like to report to law enforcement, we highly encourage you to reach out to ASAP first and speak with a confidential advocate--we can discuss options and safety planning with you so that you are empowered to make an informed decision that feels best to you prior to disclosing information to individuals who may have a duty to report or investigate crimes.  

On Campus Police

The University of Northern Colorado Police Department provides 24-hour services to protect the safety of the University of Northern Colorado campus community and is part of the coordinated campus response to gender-based violence.

Information provided to UNCPD will be shared with staff in the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance and the Office of the Dean of Students so that support and accommodations can be provided to you, and so that necessary steps can be taken by the institution to help protect you and the campus community. 

You can file an anonymous report of a crime through My Safe Campus.  Please note that My Safe Campus is not an emergency service - if there is an emergency, contact the Police Department at 970‑351‑2245 for immediate help.  Additionally, please note that My Safe Campus is not confidential--if you provide identifiable information (such as your name and contact information), the police department will notify the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance and staff will reach out to you to file a report and start an investigative process.  

You can make a report to law enforcement but still choose not to press criminal charges. If you do decide to proceed with pressing criminal charges, police can help with recording incident information and collecting evidence, interviewing witnesses or suspects, making arrests, or otherwise filing criminal charges. The survivor has until the expiration of the statute of limitations for any crime to decide to press charges. Survivors should also know that pursuing a criminal case does not commit a prosecuting attorney to filing a case. Law Enforcement investigation material may also be used in Title IX or student conduct processes, to provide more options to survivors in addition to criminal justice possibilities. 

Off Campus Police

If the crime occurred off campus, you would need to contact the police department that has jurisdiction over the location where the crime occurred.  For example, if the crime occurred in a house off-campus in Greeley, you would want to contact the Greeley police department to file a report.  ASAP Advocates can accompany you to interviews and meetings with local, off-campus law enforcement.  

If your case is picked up by the District Attorney and goes to trial, ASAP advocates can also accompany you to local court hearings.