Originally built as the university’s boiler house and converted to the Arts Annex
in 1963, this building provides studio and classroom space primarily for 3D visual
arts, including ceramics, sculpting, metalsmithing, and jewelry.
Ben Knighthorse Campbell Center
Home to the University of Northern Colorado Cancer Rehabilitation Center, the first
of its kind in the country, which offers training to students and health care professionals.
More than 1,000 cancer survivors have been served by the center, and countless others
helped by the important research advanced by faculty and students.
Bank of Colorado Arena at Butler-Hancock Athletic Center
Completed in 1974, Butler-Hancock houses UNC intercollegiate athletic offices and
facilities, with the 2,700 spectator capacity in Bank of Colorado Arena.
In Fall 2017, the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center moved to this house on 10th
Avenue, which was named after philanthropist and friend Bonnie Phelps. The Center
advocates for, educates with, and supports all identities across the gender, sexual,
and romantic spectrums through an intersectional lens.
Built in 1907 as the university’s library, it was renamed Carter Hall in 1944, and
currently houses the university administration and accounting services, including
the President’s Office, Provosts Office, Graduate School, Human Resources, IM&T, and
Campus Recreation Center
Added to campus in 1995, the Campus Recreation Center contains three multipurpose
gyms, two group fitness rooms, exercise equipment, a climbing wall, a suspended track
and UNC’s indoor swimming pool.
Completed in 2019, Campus Commons is the newest building on campus, located across
11th Avenue from North Hall. The building is a hub for students and prospective students,
and houses financial aid, the registrar, the Office of Admissions and Visitor’s Center.
It’s also a showcase for UNC’s world-class performing and visual arts programs with
the performance hall and an art gallery. A new mural, created by UNC alumnus Armando
Silva ’10, was installed in February, 2021.
Built in 1973, Candelaria Hall is home to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences,
offering more than 40 undergraduate degrees ranging from Africana Studies to Spanish.
The building is best known for the mural depicting the life of Martin Candelaria.
The 5,900 square-foot, 600-seat Performance Hall at Campus Commons allows for an all-inclusive,
central space for performing arts, dance and music students to practice and perform,
as well as a place for the community to come together and celebrate the arts. It’s
also home to several of UNC’s 96 new Steinway pianos, funded by generous donors who
helped UNC attain the prestigious All-Steinway School designation.
Davis House is home to the Marcus Garvey Cultural Center. As a Center focused on advocacy,
the MGCC staff seek to create a space where students of color and historically marginalized
groups feel connected to UNC and empowered throughout their collegiate experience.
The César Chávez Cultural Center is located in the Patton House and offers students
who identify with the LatinX community support.
Ground was broken in April 2021 for the Empower Center, UNC’s first fully donor-funded
campus building. Expected to be open for student-athlete use in November, the $4 million,
10,250 square-foot facility more than doubles the space used in the previous facility
and features a spacious weight room, new equipment, enhanced nutrition station, and
offices for the strength and conditioning staff.
Ground was broken for Frasier Hall on November 19, 1951, and it was dedicated January
1, 1954. It’s home to the College of Performing and Visual Arts, and includes Langworthy
Theatre, named in 1986 in honor of Helen Langworthy, who served as director of Little
Theatre of the Rockies from its first season in 1934 until her retirement in 1965.
The cornerstone for Guggenheim Hall was laid September 24, 1910, and the building
was completed in 1912. It’s a familiar building for students in Performing and Visual
Construction began in September 1926 and was competed in 1928. Gunter’s original bell
chimes were replaced with a second set in 1948. When the chimes stopped ringing in
1985 due to age and mechanical difficulties, a heartfelt grassroots campaign called
“Bucks for Bells” brought $1 contributions from students, faculty, alumni and community
members. The bells rang out again October 17, 1987 and have continued – from 7 a.m.
to 10 p.m. – to chime every quarter hour since.
Holmes Dining Hall
West campus’s dining hall, Holmes opened on January 8, 2005. It replaced the dining
hall previously housed in Harrison Hall.
Dedicated in November of 1966, Harrison Hall has been the home away from home for
thousands of UNC students. Today, it houses more than 500 Bears and UNC's Outdoor
The cornerstone for what was the Training School was laid in 1910, with additional
construction continuing over the years, until 1923. The building – now home to the
Kenneth W. Monfort College of Business – was renamed Kepner Hall in 1931.
Native American Student Services and Asian/Pacific American Student Services are both
located in Kohl House. A/PASS serves as the home office for UNC's Hawaii Club which
hosts the annual UNC Luau.
The tallest building between Denver, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming, Lawrenson was
built in 1973 and stands 17 stories tall.
McKee Hall of Education
Completed in 1968 as the home for UNC’s College of Education and Behavioral Sciences.
Fifteen of Colorado’s Teacher of the Year honorees graduated from UNC, and 13 of the
15 passed through these doors. Frank Barnard Evans ’52 and William McBride ’57 (Colorado
Teachers of the Year for 1964 and 1966 respectively) graduated before McKee Hall was
James A. Michener Library
Completed in 1971, the University was renamed James A. Michener Library in 1973. Michener
earned his master’s in Education from then-Colorado State Teacher’s College and also
taught at the university. The library houses the James A. Michener Collection, which
includes 900 linear feet of materials including Michener’s research notes, manuscripts,
galley proofs and correspondence, as well as field notebooks, maps, photographs and
slides he collected while writing his novels.
Nottingham has been home to the Bears since 1996, and for the 2021 football season
there will be new turf for the first kickoff, thanks to a donor in partnership with
Academy Sports Turf.
These picturesque residence halls built in the 1930s were originally called Faculty
Apartments and now house more than 170 students.
Ross Hall of Science
Completed in 1964 and dedicated in 1965, Ross Hall houses classrooms, labs and faculty
offices and is well-known by Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Physics, Mathematical
Sciences, English and History students.
One of six residence halls that makes up the Central Coalition on central campus,
Snyder Hall overlooks Snyder Green.
Skinner Music Library
Built in 1997 and named Skinner Music Library in 2005, it houses more than 100,000
scores, books, periodicals, and recordings.
Dedicated October 22, 1999, Scott-Wilcoxon Hall houses the Women’s Resource Center
and Stryker Institute for Leadership Development. Funded by generous donor Ronda Stryker
’76, the Stryker Program celebrates its 20th anniversary in 2021, with more than 500
Stryker Scholars benefiting from the program – and going on to make a difference in
Dedicated June 13, 1936, Tobey-Kendel houses the central campus dining hall and meeting
Built in 1965, originally called “College Center,” the building was renamed the University
Center in 1970. It houses the bookstore, Fan Gear, restaurants, meeting spaces, computer
commons, the Center for Career Readiness, university clubs and organizations, and
Conferences and Event Services.
Housed in Roudebush Cottage, UNC’s Veteran Services Office supports students who are
veterans or military members and their descendants, providing them with a study space
and benefits processing, and offering advocacy resources. Originally the cottage housed