Stay connected to fellow UNC alumni and make social distancing more Bear-able by joining our FREE virtual Bear Network events.
Each event features members from across the Bear Network speaking to new and diverse topics. Giving you someone new to meet and something new to chat about every few weeks. These events are recorded, so even if you aren’t able to watch live, the insight and connection featured is available for you to watch on demand, at your convenience.
Leveraging YOUR Bear Network
On June 10, we had the pleasure of connecting with UNC alumnus and Alumni Association board member, Quinston Daugherty '97, '00. In our conversation, Quinston, or "Q" as he goes by, provided tips on networking in general, growing strong network, and engaging fellow alumni in your city or industry in support of your career. Watch our full conversation for Q's insight on how to leverage your UNC Bear Network.
Insight from Q:
- Think of Networking Differently - A network is simply a group of people who share similar beliefs or passions, and care about your success.
- Business Cards & LinkedIn - These are tools to help connect. Make sure you're taking action on these tools and engaging on shared experiences.
- Build a Synergistic Network - Remember that more can be accomplished in collaboration, than alone. Start with family, friends, and UNC connections.
- Leverage The People You Know - Research shows that 2nd and 3rd degree connections will support a friend's business, or connect you to job opportunities, because of referrals from shared connections.
- Be Authentic - Let people know why you're reaching out. Start with real and creative questions; the Bear Network is here to help.
- Networks Evolve Over Time - As you develop, so will your connections, check-in often, and support their passion projects.
- Support, Connect, and Praise - Be intentional in your outreach. Give kudos for a new job, provide a solid review, or help your connections grow their networks.
UNC offers various resources and relationships to aid your career development. Put your Bear Network to Work by connecting with fellow UNC alumni on LinkedIn, joining one of our many alumni groups, or reaching out to Alumni Relations staff for support.
Upcoming Bear Network Connections
Are you interested in an upcoming virtual event? Register today to receive follow-up instructions for joining the virtual event.
Making The Most of LinkedIn
Join recent graduate and UNC Alumni Association board member Jasmine Jones '17 as she shares insight with recent graduates on starting a profile, making connections, and engaging with fellow bears on LinkedIn.
Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. MST