Our alumni can be found in several different places around the globe. To make social distancing more Bear-able and to stay connected to more than 134,000 UNC alumni, the alumni association office is hosting a series of FREE virtual events called Bear Network Connections.
Connect and engage with fellow UNC alumni, faculty and community members as they share their expertise on diverse topics. The Bear Network virtual events are recorded and published, so that our Bears can watch on demand anywhere and anytime.
Staying Sane & Growing Your Professional Brand
On April 30, the UNC Alumni Association had the honor of hosting Digital & Social Media Marketing Professor Denny McCorkle. During the Bear Network virtual event, Professor McCorkle provided insight and tips on how to stay connected without getting drawn into negative social media.
- Limit your consumption of social media to remain balanced.
- Define how you want to be seen on social media. This includes ensuring that your social media profile picture, description and content are professional.
- For Twitter, use Lists to source and find content relevant to topics of interest.
- Post content to “what you are learning, thinking, and doing,” which may include sharing your thoughts and reactions to a provoking article or blog post.
- Refine your LinkedIn profile Headline and About section to include relevant key words and first-person descriptions.
Download additional resources and tips from Professor McCorkle.
Connect to your fellow UNC alumni on LinkedIn and the UNC Alumni regional groups on Facebook to put your Bear Network to work for you. We Invite you to attend the upcoming virtual events and to reach out if you have career questions.
Upcoming Bear Network Connections
Are you interested in an upcoming virtual event? Check out our Spring 2020 schedule, and register using the link below.
Effective Virtual Interview Tips
Join alumna and human resources professional Ashley Valenzuela-Ruesgen '11 to learn effective strategies for virtual job interviews.
Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 12:00 PM
Top 10 Resume & Cover Letter Tips
Join UNC alumna and career counselor Elizabeth Mahoney ‘05 as she shares her most effective tips for writing strong resumes and cover letters.
Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 12:00 PM