- What are the Summer Term dates?
There are four sessions of different lengths during the Summer Session
- First 6-week session: May 13 - June 21
- University Closed for Memorial Day - May 27th
- Second 6-weeks session: June 24- August 2
- University Closed for Independence Day - July 4th
- 8-week session: June 3 - July 26
- 12-week session: May 13- August 2
Not all course dates follow the specific sessions. Some courses are short courses and workshops that may be held for only one week. Please check the Special Term/Short Course Deadline Report for exact start and end dates for courses.
- Who can take course during the Summer term?
Current students wanting to further their education, high school students wanting to get a jump start on their college career or students from other institutions wanting to take advantage of our summer program.
If you’re a currently enrolled student or have taken at least one class in the last year, your student account is active and you’re eligible to register for summer courses.
If it’s been over a year since you took a course, your student account is inactive. To re-activate it, you will have to complete and submit the Student Information Form. Reactivation takes approximately 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays.
If you’ve never taken a course at UNC, you must complete and submit the Student Information Form to begin an accelerated admissions process, verify your residency status for tuition purposes and activate a student account. Please allow 24 hours for processing, excluding weekends and holidays.
- When can I register for summer courses?
Registration opens Monday, April 1st. You will register through Ursa - your online student portal.
- I have a registration hold; can I still register?
No. Holds are restrictions that may prevent you from registering for classes and are placed on your student record at any time during the term. They are placed on your record by various offices and are indicated when you attempt to register using Ursa. Holds are not an acceptable reason or justification for a late add.
To clear a hold, contact the originating office. Contact information is provided in Ursa.
- How many credits may I take?
The maximum total course load for summer terms is 15 credits.
Exceptions to the maximum limits require an overload permit. More information: 970-351-4862 or Office of the Registrar.
- Where can I find a list of summer term courses? Are there specific Liberal Arts Core
You can use "Look Up Classes" under your Student Tab in Ursa or use the Online Schedule of Classes to find summer term courses. You can search course offerings using a variety of criteria such as subject, location, course level and instructional method. Numerous Liberal Arts Core courses are being offered; a list may be found here.
- Are all the summer courses online courses or are there courses available on the Greeley
A variety of courses will be offered on UNC’s Greeley campus, online and at off-campus sites such as the UNC Centerra and Lowry campuses, which are operated by UNC’s Extended Studies.
- Are there specific programs available just for graduate students?
- I’m an educator; are there professional development classes/opportunities available?
Summer class offerings include numerous undergraduate and graduate-level classes in a variety of subject areas that may meet the individual professional goals of school teachers, counselors and administrators.
- What other learning resources are available for those needing professional development or nontraditional learning options?
- I have a degree and would like to get a teacher license. Can I start in the summer?
We have four post-baccalaureate programs, all of which start in the summer term. More information: School of Education website or 970-351-2908.
Tuition, Fees and Financial Aid
- What are the tuition and fee costs for the summer term?
Visit the tuition and cost website for detailed information.
- Will differential tuition be charged?
Yes, the current differential tuition rate - an additional per credit hour charge to defray the higher costs associated with offering music, theater and dance courses, business courses and nursing courses will be charged. Differential tuition does not apply to Liberal Arts Core courses. More information is available on the UNC Differential Tuition FAQ page.
- I’m a Colorado resident. Do I get a COF stipend for summer courses?
Yes, if you’re eligible for a College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend, it will be applied toward your summer enrollment costs. COF is the state of Colorado’s way of providing financial support for resident undergraduate students. More information is available on the UNC COF website.
- Is financial aid available for summer term courses? If so, when does aid pay to my
If you’re enrolled in al least six units as an undergraduate, or five (5) units as a graduate student, you will be considered if you are eligible. Visit the Financial Aid website for more information or call 970-351-4862.
- When will I be billed for summer semester charges?Summer semester charges will begin showing up on May student bills.
- Will advising be available during the summer term?
Students with a declared major who need advising during the summer term should contact their assigned advisor or program staff if their assigned advisor isn’t working during the summer term.
SOAR will be available all summer to advise students who are undeclared, seeking business, seeking music, seeking music theatre, seeking software engineering, and seeking theatre.
New students will be advised at New Student Orientation. Returning students will be advised through one-on-one appointments in our office. More information: 970-351-1391, SOAR website or email@example.com.
- Will tutoring be available during the summer term?
The tutoring center will not operate during the summer term, but many faculty and program staff members can recommend private tutors.
Free and confidential tutoring assistance for all writing, from College Composition (ENG 122) essays to doctoral dissertations, will be available from the UNC Writing Center in Ross Hall, 1230. The center’s summer hours are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. by appointment. More information: 970-351-2056 or Writing Center website.
- Will the libraries be open during summer term?
- Is campus housing available during the summer?
For more information, visit the Housing and Residential Education website or call 970-351-2721
- Will the dining halls be open during the summer?
Holmes Dining Hall and the University Center (UC) Food Court will both be open during the summer term beginning in early June. The schedule for both locations will vary depending on summer conferences groups and the New Student Orientation schedule.
Please visit the Dining Services website for a detailed calendar of when Holmes and the UC Food Court will be open. Registered students can purchase Bear Plans (160, 120, 80, 50, 25, and 10), or summer diners can pay with cash/credit for single meals.
Summer students can also purchase summer Dining Dollars to use in our Retail Dining locations. Just like the dining rooms, summer hours for our Retail locations will vary depending on summer conference group counts. Currently, Pie Cafe, Munchy Mart, Einstein Bros® Bagels, and Subway® are the only locations scheduled to be open during the summer. A detailed schedule can also be found on the Dining Services website.
- Will the Technical Support Center be open?
The Technical Support Center (TSC) is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year by calling 970-351-4357 or at the Online Support Center.
- Will the computer labs be open during the summer term?
The summer schedule for campus computer labs is:
- University Center Computer Commons: Lab Hours
- Kepner Hall Room 30: Lab Hours
- Candelaria Hall Room 1140: Lab Hours
The computers on the main floor of Michener Library will be available during library hours and a specific lab can remain open later by special request. More information: 970-351-4357 or Information Technology website.
- I still have questions. Who can I call for more information?