Proposal Writing Resources
Committing time to grant writing can be a challenge for faculty. The Office of Research
and Sponsored Programs exists to serve UNC faculty members. One of ORSP's roles is
to facilitate the creation and management of Faculty Grant Writing Groups where faculty can dedicate time to work on grant and other research-related writing.
More Proposal Writing Resources
Additional resources include: developing and writing proposals; agency-specific info;
budget development; logic models; and more.
- Developing and Writing Proposals
- Agency Specific Proposal Writing
National Science Foundation
National Institutes of Health
Environmental Protection Agency
Department of Education
Department of Health & Human Services
- Developing Proposal Budgets
- Developing Logic Models
- Logic Model Development Guide (pdf) - W. K. Kellogg Foundation
- Logic Model Builder - Innovation Network Point K Learning Center: Register for free, log in, and go
to "Tools" at the bottom of the menu on the left of the screen to find the link to
the Logic Model Builder, an interactive tool that guides the user through the process
of developing "program goals, activities and resources, and how those elements work
together to produce your program's intended outcomes". Register and log in to view
- Logic Models - Usable Knowledge Training - an interactive logic model tutorial including audio
- Designing Project Evaluations
- User-Friendly Handbook for Mixed Method Evaluations - National Science Foundation
- Evaluation Plan Builder - Innovation network Point K Learning Center: Register for free, log in, go to "Tools"
at the bottom of the menu on the left of the screen to find the link to the evaluation
Plan Builder, an interactive took that helps the user determine "what program success
will look like before the fact" and "how to tell that success has been achieved after
the fact". The EPB may be used for outcomes evaluation, implementation evaluation,
or both. Register and log in to view this tool.
- Evaluation:A Tool for Program Improvement - Justice Research & Statistics Association - more than program evaluation, this
online tutorial covers documenting problem statements, implementing evidence-based
programming, developing performance measures and creating a logic model, and incorporation
evaluation tools into program management.
- MEASURE Evaluation - Training materials and tools on M & E topics for use by researchers, program managers,
trainers, policy makers, students, and other public health professionals.
- Basic Guide to Program Evaluation - Free Management Library
- Evaluation Handbook - W. K. Kellogg Foundation
- Integrating Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches in Program Evaluation - The World Bank
- Grant-writing and Career Development
- The Academic Scientist's Toolkit - From the Journal Science
- Preparing a Successful Manuscript: Research Writing Advice - From the Maternal and Child Health Bureau
During this recorded webinar, two leading editors speak about how to prepare a successful
manuscript for publications, describing the organization and key elements of a research
paper and considering both quantitative and qualitative presentations and suggestions
regarding making a paper ready for submission. The Grants Resource Center reports
that "the strategies presented have broad applicability across disciplines and audiences,
and incorporate many of the principles of effective grant proposal writing".
- National Data Sources
- Colorado Data Sources
- Writing Guides (proposal writing is not the same as academic writing)