Jump to main content

Campus Security Authorities

  • Who is a Campus Security Authority?

    Campus Security Authority (CSA) is a Clery Act specific term that encompasses four groups of individuals or organizations associated with an institution.

    • A campus police or security department.
    • Any individuals or organizations who have a responsibility for campus safety but do not constitute a campus police or security department.
    • Individuals or organizations specified by policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report.
    • Individuals with significant responsibility for student and campus activities. Most CSAs on campus fall into this definition and includes but is not limited to faculty advisors to student organizations, housing staff, coaches, and the Dean of Students Office.
  • How do I know if I am a CSA and do I need to be trained?

    CSAs at UNC may be notified through email by the Assistant Clery Compliance Officer and are required to attend an initial in-person thirty minute training. Each CSA is evaluated yearly to determine if their responsibilities at UNC fall into the federal definition for Campus Security Authorities. CSAs who continue to fall within the federal definition are required to participate in a ten minute online training video each year after the initial training that will refresh current policies and notify of any changes to the Clery Act. This training video is custom made for UNC and is available in Ursa.

  • How do I report? 

    CSAs are federally obligated to report Clery crimes in Clery reportable areas to the UNC Police Department. You can report in person at the Gray Hall Police window or by phone at 970-351-2245. The UNC Police Department is open 24/7. 

    For emergencies or in progress crimes dial 911 from campus phones and 970-351-2245 from cell phones. 

  • Are there special requirements for crimes of sexual violence? 

    Crimes of sexual violence should be reported to UNC PD as soon as possible. When UNC PD responds to a crime of sexual violence they will provide the victim with two brochures, Assistance for Colorado Crime Victims and UNC Rights and Options. 

    CSAs are encouraged to give victims the digital UNC Rights and Options Brochure, whether the crime occurred on or off campus. This brochure is available here.

  • What crimes am I required to report?
    • Criminal Homicide
    • Rape
    • Fondling
    • Incest
    • Statutory
    • Rape
    • Robbery
    • Aggravated Assault
    • Burglary
    • Motor Vehicle Theft
    • Arson

    All crimes motivated by bias* in the Criminal Offenses column plus the following:

    • Larceny-Theft
    • Simple Assault
    • Intimidation
    • Destruction/Damage /Vandalism of property
    • Domestic Violence
    • Dating Violence
    • Stalking
    • Drug Law Violations
    • Liquor Law Violations
    • Weapons Law Violations

    *Areas of bias include actual or perceived race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, and disability.

  • What is the University of Northern Colorado's Clery Geography?

    The Clery Act requires universities to disclose crime statistics that occur on their Clery geography, which includes: (1) on campus property including residence halls and extended campus locations, (2) public property surrounding the campus, (3) non campus property which includes off campus classrooms and buildings for recognized student organizations.

    2017 Map

  • How do I access the online training?

    For directions on accessing the online training, please contact the Assistant Clery Compliance Officer.

    As a reminder, the online CSA training is only required if you have been identified as a CSA and have attended an initial in-person training. All new CSAs need to complete a thirty minute in-person training before they can participate in the online training.