OUR Research/Creative Endeavor Support Stipends
The Office of Undergraduate Research is offering Research/Creative Endeavor Stipends and Support Grants toward undergraduate scholarship for Summer 2019.
- Research supplies
- Conference presentations/performances,
- Support for research and creative endeavors.
info Faculty, Staff, Graduate Students are not eligible to apply
Stipends will be awarded based on the amount of available funding and the number of requests. While there is no guarantee of a full stipend, OUR will fund as many eligible requests as possible.
Travel Funding Details
It should be noted that OUR can not fund travel or supply expenses associated with a specific class, for which those supplies or the travel is a required element of the course work. We do support research and travel associated with programs such as McNair and Honors and with research or travel related to independent study projects or for non-required travel and/or research supplies and time.
Additional funding specifically for travel may be available from the Student Senate's Conference Funding.
As of January 1, 2018 the mileage rate (if you are driving for travel) is .49 per mile.
To figure out your per diem (which varies based on the city you are traveling to) view the Pier Diem Rates established by the General Services Administration.
Apply for Stipends
Email a completed application to Dr. Janice Dickensheets at email@example.com. All submissions must include:
- A signed, completed application
- Project proposal narrative (no more than two pages)
- Faculty sponsor letter of support
- Conference/performance acceptance letter (if the application involves conference participation).
Applications must be received by 5pm on April 15, 2019. Applicants will be notified of the results around the end of April.
Stipend applications will be ranked according to the following rubric:
- Standard research projects such as are conducted in science, social science, education, and academic disciplines.
- Creative endeavors in humanities, business, and other disciplines, which recognize such endeavors as scholarship.
- Presentation of research and/or creative endeavors at a conference.
- Conference attendance
- Clinic or master class attendance
- Membership dues for professional organizations
General Due Dates
Due dates for each stipend will appear in the sidebar above. In general, however, due dates will be as follows:
Applications will be due in Late March. Students will be notified of awards around the end of April. Awards, however, will not be issued until the beginning of the new fiscal year, which begins on July 1, with funds being dispersed within the first week of July. This is not optimal, but it is necessary given the timing of UNC's Fiscal Year, and the loading of budgets.
Applications will be due in late September. Students will be notified of awards around the middle of October. Funds will be processed as quickly as possible after students are notified.
Applications will be due in mid-February. Students will be notified of awards around the first of March. Funds will be processed as quickly as possible after students are notified.