School of Mathematical Sciences
Natural and Health Sciences
- Ph.D. (Mathematics), Oklahoma State University
- M.S. (Mathematics), Oklahoma State University
- B.A. (Mathematics), Hendrix College
- 2007 – present: Professor, University of Northern Colorado
- 2000 – 2007: Associate Professor, University of Northern Colorado
- 1996 – 2000: Assistant Professor, University of Northern Colorado
- 1995 – 1996: Assistant Professor, Ball State University
Research/Areas of Interest
My primary focus is mathematics knowledge for teaching for K-12 mathematics teaching.
This work happens through a variety of mechanisms: professional development for in-service
math teachers, courses for pre- and in-service math teachers, grants to support the
development of math teacher leader and professional development and research on secondary
teacher practice. I am also interested in equity and diversity issues in STEM education.
Recent Funded Projects
- Keenan, S. (PI), Novak, J. & Reinsvold, L. (co-PIs). Improving Classroom Culture to
Support Intrinsic Motivation as a Pathway to STEM Inclusive Excellence. Sponsored
by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, $1,000,000. (September 2017 – August 2022)
- Novak, J. (PI) & Parker, F. Extending the Reach of Mathematics Teacher Leaders. Sponsored
by the National Science Foundation, $300,000. (September 2016 – December 2018)
- Novak, J. (PI), Powers, R. & Parker, F. Collaborative Research: Initiating a Foundational
Research Model for Secondary Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching (INFORMS MKT). Sponsored
by the National Science Foundation, $1,166,640. The project is a collaborative with
Oklahoma State University with M. Oehrtman (PI). (September 2015 – August 2018)
- Novak, J. (PI) & Parker, F. The Math Discourse Math Science Partnership. Sponsored
by the Pueblo County School District 70 and the Colorado Department of Education,
$136,939. (July 2014 – June 2016)
- Novak, J.D. (PI) & Bartell, T. (2012, July). Culture in the Math Classroom. Sponsored
by the National Science Foundation, $379,848. (July 2012 – September 2015)
- Novak, J. (PI). Reaching All our Mathematical Potential. Sponsored by Weld County
School District 6 and the Colorado Department of Education, $94, 214. (July 2011 –
- Novak, J. (PI), Mayes, R., Hauk, S., Shader, B. & Christiansen, M. Mathematics Teacher
Leadership Center. Sponsored by the National Science Foundation, $4,999,744. (October
2008 – September 2015)
- Parker, F., Bartell, T.G, & Novak, J.D. (2017). Affordances of the cultural inquiry
process in building secondary mathematics teachers’ capacity for cultural responsiveness.
Galindo, E., & Newton, J., (Eds.). Proceedings of the 39th annual meeting of the North
American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education.
Indianapolis, IN: Hoosier Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators.
- Parker, F., Novak, J.D., & Bartell, T.G. (2017). Providing choice to foster student
engagement. Phi Delta Kappan. October 2017, Vol. 99, No. 2.
- Parker, F., Bartell, T. G., & Novak, J.D. (2017). Developing Culturally Responsive
Mathematics Teachers: Secondary Teachers' Evolving Conceptions of Knowing Students.
Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 20 (4), 385–407. DOI: 10.1007/s10857-015-9328-5
- Bartell, T. G., Id-Deen, L., Parker, F., & Novak, J.D. (2016). Two sides of the same
coin? Teachers’ commitment to culturally relevant teaching while holding deficit views
of poor communities. In D. Y. White, S. Crespo, & M. Civil (Eds.), Cases for teacher
educators: facilitating conversations about inequities in mathematics classrooms (339-346).
Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Glassmeyer, D.M., Oehrtman, M.C., Novak, J.D. (2014). Mathematics teachers’ models
of quantitative reasoning. In T. Fukawa-Connolly, G. Karakok, K. Keene, and M. Zandieh
(Eds.), Proceedings of the 17th
- Conference on Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education (pp. 633-640), Denver,
Colorado. Published electronically: http://sigmaa.maa.org/rume/RUME17.pdf
Honors and Awards
- Excellence in Scholarly Activity, 2017. Awarded by the College of Natural and Health
Sciences, University of Northern Colorado.
- Excellence in Academic Leadership, 2014. Awarded by the College of Natural and Health
Sciences, University of Northern Colorado.
- Outstanding Achievement in Sponsored Programs Award, 2008. Awarded by Office of Sponsored
Programs, University of Northern Colorado.
- University Award for Teaching Excellence, 2002. Awarded by the University of Northern
- Award for Teaching Excellence, 2001. Awarded by the College of Arts and Science, University
of Northern Colorado.