What is LEAP?
LEAP is a program for first-generation students looking to obtain a pre-health degree in biology or chemistry at UNC. This program provides academic and social support throughout your first year to provide you with the necessary skills to be successful during your time at UNC and prepare you for professional schools.
- Personalized and ongoing advising to help you achieve your goals
- Academic, professional, and preparatory workshops that will cover study skills, professionalism, experiences with current medical students, leadership skills, preparation for professional schools, and more
- Receive support from members of past LEAP cohorts who successfully navigated their freshman year
- Academic support including a cohort format for introductory science classes, weekly study sessions, tutoring and access to research opportunities
- We help connect you to health care professionals as resources to help you fulfill shadowing, clinical hours, and volunteer hour requirements for admittance into professional schools
In fall 2019, the LEAP program brought together its fifth cohort of twenty-four incoming freshmen students. This program fosters an inclusive community that enables you to study and learn with other students that share similar interests and goals as you do. In addition to the variety of opportunities and benefits exclusive to LEAP, it's a great way to meet new friends and have fun!
Pre-Health Four Year Worksheets
- The LEAP Summer Bridge Program is under development. This program will introduce you to your fellow LEAP bears, the peer mentors, the Project Coordinator, faculty and advisors. You will experience life on campus and participate in an authentic research experience, engage in fun team building activities, and more.
- You'll get to meet and network with health care professionals to further explore your career goals.
" LEAP helped me become accustomed to college as a first year and with their help I was able to gain momentum to achieving my goal by getting accepted to medical school. Through tutorship and mentoring me on what steps to take, I was able to achieve success.”
- Mohamoud, 2015 Cohort and Peer Mentor
“LEAP helped me build the connections I have now. They provided the support I needed the most as a first-generation college student, they helped me navigate myself through STEM.”
- Adlemi, 2019 Cohort
“LEAP was a great program to join, the cohort became a good group of friends to lean on. Taking the classes together was a huge plus since we could all study together for exams and quizzes. The summer bridge was a great way to meet each other and get to know professors before the semester began. The cookie decorating and gift exchange we did at study nights first semester were also fun!”
- Aubrey, 2019 Cohort