What is LEAP?
LEAP is a program for first-generation students looking to obtain a pre-health degree in biology or chemistry at UNC. This program provides academic and social support throughout your first year to provide you with the necessary skills to be successful during your time at UNC and prepare you for professional schools.
- Personalized and ongoing advising to help you achieve your goals
- Academic, professional, and preparatory workshops that will cover study skills, professionalism, experiences with current medical students, leadership skills, preparation for professional schools, and more
- Receive support from members of past LEAP Scholars who successfully navigated their freshman year
- Academic support including a cohort format for introductory science classes, weekly study sessions, tutoring and access to research opportunities
- We help connect you to health care professionals as resources to help you fulfill shadowing, clinical hours, and volunteer hour requirements for admittance into professional schools
In summer 2021, the LEAP program will bring together its sixth cohort of twenty-four incoming first-year students, LEAP Scholars. This program fosters an inclusive community that enables you to study and learn with other students that share similar interests and goals as you do. In addition to the variety of opportunities and benefits exclusive to LEAP, it's a great way to meet new friends and have fun!
Pre-Health Four Year Worksheets
Ross Hall 2279 D
- The LEAP Summer Bridge Program will begin on UNC's campus and start August 15 through August 19, 2021. This free program will introduce you to your fellow LEAP Scholars, the peer mentors, the Project Advisor & Coordinator, faculty and academic advisor. You will experience life on campus and participate in an authentic research experience, and engage in fun team building activities. You'll get to meet and network with health care professionals to further explore your career goals.
- During your first-year as a LEAP Scholar you will take your introductory biology and chemistry courses together, meet with you LEAP Advisor and academic advisor, particiapte in academic skill building workshops, and social events.
" LEAP helped me become accustomed to college as a first year and with their help I was able to gain momentum to achieving my goal by getting accepted to medical school. Through tutorship and mentoring me on what steps to take, I was able to achieve success.”
- Mohamoud, 2015 Cohort and Peer Mentor
“LEAP helped me build the connections I have now. They provided the support I needed the most as a first-generation college student, they helped me navigate myself through STEM.”
- Adlemi, 2019 Cohort
“LEAP was a great program to join, the cohort became a good group of friends to lean on. Taking the classes together was a huge plus since we could all study together for exams and quizzes. The summer bridge was a great way to meet each other and get to know professors before the semester began. The cookie decorating and gift exchange we did at study nights first semester were also fun!”
- Aubrey, 2019 Cohort