Jump to main content

As experts in the study of society, sociologists help communities, agencies, government organizations and businesses solve problems. You can become one of these problem-solvers by earning your Master of Sociology degree here at UNC. The MA in Sociology will equip you with the knowledge and analytical training that today’s employers rely on to advance their missions. You will work closely with faculty, find opportunities for internships out in the community, and have access to paid assistantships or research training in our Social Research Lab.

This program requires 30 credits spanning over at least four semesters. Because of the broad-based nature of our program and the close supervision of graduate faculty, you'll have the freedom to decide where to specialize. The faculty members represent a variety of theoretical perspectives, areas of interest, and professional experience; each of our faculty do applied work in our communities and share an emphasis on training students for the practice of sociology in their future careers.

Students can choose between applied and thesis options to complete the program. If you are planning to advance your employment opportunities by completing our M.A. degree, we have an applied emphasis which culminates in a professional research report based on an applied internship experience in the community. If you are interested in pursuing further graduate education or Ph.D. programs after completing our M.A. degree, we offer a thesis emphasis which culminates with a research project and traditional graduate thesis outcome.

The Admissions Process

You must be admitted by both our Graduate School and the Master in Sociology program (either the applied or thesis emphasis). Consult the Admissions Requirements for complete details.

Financial Aid for Graduate Students In Sociology

The sociology program offers a limited number of tuition fellowships and merit-based awards. For information about grants, loans, employment, scholarships and veterans’ benefits, contact the Office of Financial Aid. For International Students, contact the Office of Global Engagement for information about funding eligibility and support.