Jump to main content

Emotional Support Animal

If you are requesting an accommodation of an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), please review the Disability Resource Center Emotional Support Animal Request Procedures that outline the process of making an ESA request. A 30-day notice period may be necessary to ensure that all the required information, paperwork, and documentation has been received and thoroughly reviewed.

Service Animal Procedure

If you have questions in regard to service animals, please call the DRC office at 970-351-2289 to schedule an appointment with a staff member.

The University of Northern Colorado recognizes the importance of service animals to individuals with disabilities and has established the following procedure regarding service animals to assist people with disabilities. Set forth below are protocols associated with service animals. UNC reserves the right to amend these procedures as circumstances require.

Service animals are allowed to accompany individuals with disabilities in all areas of the facility where the public is normally allowed access. 

Notification Procedures

Any individual who keeps a service animal in University Housing should follow the steps below so that the individual can be assigned to housing with due consideration for their needs and preferences:

  • Indicate that a service animal will be kept in the individual’s living space under the ADA Accommodations section of the HRE Housing application.
  • Provide up-to-date vaccination records for your service animal directly to Housing & Residential Education (HRE). This is in accordance with local municipal code.
  • Optionally notify the DRC of your service animal so that we can provide support related to successfully navigating campus with a service animal. This could include providing a service animal etiquette notification to your faculty members if desired.