Jump to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Are the University of Northern Colorado Police officers "real" Police Officers?

    Yes. UNCPD officers are P.O.S.T. certified police officers under Colorado Revised Statute ยง16-2.5-148. A Colorado state higher education police officer employed by a state institution of higher education pursuant to article 7.5 of title 24, C.R.S., is a peace officer whose authority shall include the enforcement of all laws of the state of Colorado and who shall be certified by the P.O.S.T. board.

  • What is the jurisdiction of the University Police Department?

    The University Police respond to and investigate all calls for service on State property owned by the University of Northern Colorado. Additionally, the University Police can take enforcement action off campus through the use of mutual aid agreements between Greeley, Evans, and the University of Northern Colorado. University Police Officers also hold a limited commission from the Weld County Sheriff's Office.

  • How do I contact the University Police?

    For emergencies, dial 911 from any campus phone. If you have a cell phone, the UNC Police Department recommends programming our number, (970) 351-2245 into your contacts to easily call us. Please be aware, if you dial 911 from a cell phone, you will be connected to the Weld County Communications Center, not the UNC Police. For non-emergencies, dial 1-2245 from any campus phone, or call (970) 351-2245 from any phone. Our fax number is (970) 351-4286.

  • When should I contact the University Police?

    You should contact the UNC Police anytime there is an emergency occurring on campus property, or if you are the victim of a crime, witness a suspected crime, or encounter any suspicious circumstance or person. There are numerous rules, regulations and safety concerns specific to the University of Northern Colorado that the University Police also respond to. If it needs immediate attention please contact the University Police.

  • What does it mean for an officer to have a "liaison hall?"

    Each University Police Officer chooses a Residence Hall to work with regarding specific issues in that hall. The officer also serves as a first point of contact for programming requests, special events, and general questions or concerns. Do not wait for your liaison officer to come on duty if you want to report any issue under FAQ #4. Call the University Police immediately under those circumstances.

  • Are there any student jobs available with the UNC Police Department?

    There are jobs that are paid hourly with the Police Department. These positions are unarmed, security positions that work closely with the Police Department during the evening to early morning hours. The Communications Center will also occasionally have opportunity for employment. Most of the positions are hired during the first month of each semester. If you have any questions or interest in the positions, please contact the University Police Department at 351-2245 and ask to speak with a sergeant. You may also fill out a student application and turn it into the Police Department at any time. Download the student application here.