You must have access to a computer with e-mail and Internet capabilities.
Courses are offered using the Canvas learning management system. Canvas Guides are available online to help you learn and understand more about the online learning management system.
Discussion and interaction most often takes place via e-mail, discussion groups or chat rooms on-line.
Minimum computer equipment and software specifications are:
- A computer (no more than 5 years old if possible) will be needed for at least some course elements. Tablets work for some tasks, but not all.
- 1GB of RAM (if you have minimal RAM, you may want to avoid having many other programs open at the same time you are using Canvas)
- 2 GHz processor
- Network card and reliable internet connection: 512 kbps minimum, but a high-speed connection is recommended.
- Recent version of Flash (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files) and Adobe Reader/Acrobat
- Word Processor: Microsoft Word 2003 or newer recommended (if you are not using Microsoft Word, we recommend saving documents as .rtf files for compatibility)
- Sound card and speakers
- Recommended: camera/microphone and headphones
If your computer is close to these minimums, we strongly recommend you edit and save your work on your computer (rather than live in the course) before submitting it to prevent losing any work. This is good advice for all users for any in-depth activities!
DPD-Only Certificate: 30 courses (15 provided by UNC)
BS: A minimum of 120 credits including the DPD courses
Time to Completion:
5 terms (18 months)
Online program starts each summer term