University of Northern Colorado
Campus Box 98
Greeley, CO 80639
Ph.D. - University of Northern Colorado (Chemical Education)
M.S. - University of Northern Colordao (Biochemistry)
B.S. - Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest, Romania (Chemical Engineering)
Research/Areas of Interest
In the field of Biochemistry: biochemistry courses for science majors, General, Organic
and Biological (GOB) chemistry courses for allied-health majors, drug delivery systems,
drug metabolism, analytical instrumentation in biochemistry: FTIR spectroscopy, HPLC,
UV-vis, GC-MS, fluorometry.
In the field of Chemical Education: design and development of assessment materials
in the area of organic chemistry and biochemistry, Problem-Based Learning (PBL), qualitative,
quantitative and psychometric research methodology
Biochemistry represents the bridge between biology and chemistry. Many pre-health
and allied-health students find topics such as biomolecules and metabolism fascinating
as they apply to life processes, health, and diseases. However, one of the difficult
aspects of this course arises from the fact that students must be able to transfer
knowledge of concepts presented in previous chemistry courses.
Currently, Dr. Brown research group is exploring the following topics:
- cognitive and affective factors that impact how students learn chemistry and biochemistry
- lecture and laboratory curriculum development for pre-health and allied-health chemistry
- the design and development of assessment materials in the areas of organic chemistry
- exploration of equity in chemistry instruction
- transfer from general and organic chemistry to biochemistry
- the use of virtual reality technology for visualizations of biomolecules and metabolic
The exploration of these research topics utilizes qualitative and quantitative research
methodologies as for example interviews (students, faculty) and thematic analysis,
combined with general and comparative statistics and psychometric methods.
In the field of Biochemistry, research with undergraduate students explores areas
of drug delivery systems, drug metabolism by using analytical instrumentation as:
HPLC, FTIR spectroscopy, UV-vis, GC-MS, fluorometry.
- Aichun Dong, Corina E. Brown, Shufeng Bai, Jian Dong. Acid-enhanced conformation changes of yeast cytochrom e c coated onto gold nanoparticles,
a FT-IR spectroscopic analysis. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2018, 112, 591–597.
- Brown, C. E., Henry, M. L. M., Hyslop, R. M. (2018). Identifying relevant acid-base topics in the context of a prenursing chemistry
course to better align health-related instruction and assessment. Journal of Chemical Education, 95(6), 920-927. https://doi-org.unco.idm.oclc.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.7b00830
- Corina E. Brown, Melissa L. M. Henry, and Richard M. Hyslop. Identifying Relevant Acid–Base Topics in the Context of a Prenursing Chemistry Course
To Better Align Health-Related Instruction and Assessment. Journal of Chemical Education, 2018, DOI: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.7b00830
- Corina E. Brown, Melissa L. M. Henry, Jack Barbera, and Richard M. Hyslop. A Bridge Between Two Cultures: Uncovering the Chemistry Concepts Relevant to the Nursing
Clinical Practice. Journal of Chemical Education, 2012, 89, 1114−1121.
- Corina E. Brown, Richard M. Hyslop, and Jack Barbera. Development and Analysis of an Instrument to Assess Student Understanding of GOB Chemistry
Knowledge Relevant to Clinical Nursing Practice, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, 2015, 43, 13-19.
- Nedungadi, S.; Brown, C.E.; Paek, S.H. Differential Item Functioning Analysis of the Fundamental Concepts for Organic Reaction
Mechanisms Inventory. Journal of Chemical Education, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.2c00242
- Nedungadi, S.; Brown, C.E. “Thinking like an electron: Concepts pertinent to developing
proficiency in organic reaction mechanisms” Chemistry Teacher International, 2021, 3(1), 9-17. doi.org/10.1515/cti-2019-0020
- Sevil Akaygun, Corina E. Brown, Faik O. Karatas, Saik Supasorn, Zaypen Yaseen. Teaching chemistry with analogies around the world. Views of teachers from four countries, 2018, ACS Symposium Series eBooks.