McNair Post-Baccalaureate Preparation Seminar
Take the next step in your journey by applying to and preparing for graduate programs!
During fall semester of your final year as a UNC undergraduate, you will enroll in the 1 credit McNair Post-baccalaureate Preparation Seminar (aka "Senior Seminar"). This course is designed to help you with the graduate school application process. Then, during spring semester, you will participate in workshops and discussions related to getting into grad school, succeeding in grad school, and transitioning in a career following grad school, with specific emphasis on career paths to the professoriate.
Specifically, through participation in the fall course, you will:
- Meet your McNair contract requirement of applying to at least SIX graduate programs
(one doctoral-level program)
- Systematically select graduate programs to which you will apply & identify specific application requirements
- Complete steps necessary to create well-developed, high quality graduate program applications (see task list for individual steps)
- Identify potential sources of funding for graduate school
- Engage in discussions regarding the graduate school experience
Through participation in the spring workshops, you will:
- Prepare for graduate admissions interviews and campus visits
- Identify strategies for maximizing financial security during graduate school
- Identify potential challenges and strategies related to
- Transitioning from undergraduate to graduate status
- Successfully completing graduate-level studies
- Transitioning from graduate studies into the workforce, with emphasis on academia and the professoriate
- Identify suitable options if taking time between undergrad and graduate studies (i.e., how to spend a “gap” year)
- Articulate post-graduation plans
Throughout this process, we offer support through Individual Success Plan meetings, writing conferences, and reference to appropriate UNC resources such as the Writing Center and UNC Career Services. Additionally, many graduate programs nationwide will waive application fees for McNair Scholars!