UNC General Counsel
The UNC General Counsel works closely with senior administrative staff and faculty, is a member of the President's Cabinet and advises and counsels the University's Board of Trustees regarding legal and operational issues.
The Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance (OIEC) reports to the General Counsel. Both the General Counsel and OIEC work closely regarding Title IX complaints or other types of issues made under the Discrimination Complaint Procedures (DCP) by students, faculty and staff.
Jacquie Rich Fredericks
- Provides advice and counsel to executive staff, administrators, staff and faculty concerning legal aspects of University activities and policies, with an emphasis on prevention of claims and litigation;
- Oversees legal processes, including preparation and negotiation of University contracts;
- Performs legal review, analysis and updates to University policies and procedures;
- Supervises and assists outside counsel, including members of the Colorado Attorney General’s Office, in the conduct of litigation involving the University;
- Designated as a Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Colorado.
Director of Purchasing and Contracts, John Chaplain, and the Purchasing and Contract Specialist, Neil Johnson also provide assistance in contract negotiation, preparation and execution.
Student Legal Services
The General Counsel does not provide personal legal representation to University faculty or employees on matters unrelated to their university duties. Students may contact the Office of Student Life at 970-351-2001 to make an appointment with a student legal counsel representative for issues. Student fees fund legal counsel for students in matters.