UNC Student Employees and Supervisors:
I hope this email finds you well. Over the past 10 days, we have seen unprecedented changes in our work and personal lives and I’m certain you may be wondering how this impacts your status as a student employee. I’m writing to provide you some important pay-related information that applies to all current UNC student employees. President Feinstein and his cabinet have recently confirmed that UNC will continue paying all student employees (state work-study, federal work-study, and other student employees) through the end of April.
- The decision to work on campus or to work remotely will be determined by student supervisors. Some student employees will continue to work on campus while others will be able to work remotely.
- Student employees who are unable to work on campus or remotely will be paid using administrative leave (also referred to as an “excused absence”) as if they worked their regular schedule.
- Details on how to calculate pay and enter administrative leave time will be available to supervisors early next week in plenty of time for the next payroll deadline.
Expectations of Student Employees
- While working remotely or on administrative leave, employees are expected to maintain contact with their supervisors on a weekly basis at the minimum.
- Employees should be available during their regular work hours to answer any questions their supervisors may have.
- Hourly student employees should submit their time in Banner Self Service for payroll processing.
- Employees should review their paychecks after payday to ensure that correct hours were submitted for payment.
- When a supervisor has an employee on administrative leave, supervisors are expected to maintain contact with their employees on a weekly basis at the minimum.
- Supervisors should be available during their regular work hours to answer any questions that employees may have.
- Supervisors will need to enter administrative leave time for all employees on leave by the payroll deadline to ensure employees are paid.
More details and information will be available on Monday. Questions can be directed to UNC’s Payroll Office.
We hope this reflects our continued commitment to serve our UNC students in the best way possible. As always, take care of yourselves, and thank you for the important work you do to support our campus community.
Human Resources Director