Graduate assistantships provide students the opportunity to combine theory and practice while positively contributing to UNC's educational mission. We expect graduate assistants to focus on academic coursework while growing as student affairs professionals and administrators. Each assistantship is unique and has specific requirements and varying benefits. Most assistantships are offered for a 9-10 month period during the academic year (August/September-May), although some require summer employment, which will be compensated through a separate contract and remuneration. Please see individual position descriptions for more detailed information regarding monthly stipends.
HESAL Graduate Assistantship Initiative
- Assault Survivors Advocacy Program Prevention Education New Advocate Training Graduate Assistant
- Assault Survivors Advocacy Program Prevention Education Graduate Assistant
- Athletics Marketing and Engagement Graduate Assistant
- Center for Center for Honors, Scholars, and Leadership - Communications, Planning and Advising Coordinator
- Community Standards and Conflict Resolution Graduate Assistant
- Fraternity & Sorority Life Graduate Assistant
- Gender & Sexuality Resource Center (GSRC): Mentoring Program Internship
- Gender & Sexuality Resource Center (GSRC): Safe Zones Internship
- Gender & Sexuality Resource Center (GSRC): Student Staff Professional Development Internship
- Marcus Garvey Cultural Center-Graduate Assistant
- Student Senate Graduate Advisor
Campus Box 103
418 McKee Hall
All admitted HESAL students should fill out a UNC Universal Scholarship Application to be considered for scholarships and fellowships. Once the application is submitted students will be considered on an annual basis if they meet the minimum qualifications. The application is available through Ursa on the “Financial” tab. You must have a Bear number in order to apply.
HESAL Specific Scholarships
- Dr. Jack Shaw Fund in College Student Personnel Administration: Open to all HESAL students.
- Bernie Kinnick Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership Award: for HESAL Ph.D. students gathering and or analyzing data for their dissertation; shall have approval or doctoral committee to proceed with the topic for the dissertation.
- Cosmo F. & Antoinette V. Guido Research Scholarship in Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership: for HESAL Ph. D. students conducting research on issues related to diversity and social justice prior to the comprehensive exam.
- Ted Oppelt Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership Award: for HESAL Ph.D. students with 3.5+ GPA; enrolled in six (6) or more credit hours per semester.