Graduate assistantships at UNC come with tuition coverage and a stipen - the amount of each is dependent upon the number of hours worked as per the contract.
Internships are typically unpaid, but you earn HESAL academic credit for them. This is great since the MA program requires at least 3 cresdits of field experience as part of your academic plan of study. This allows you to start gaining experience right away, with or without a GA position.
HESAL Graduate Assistantship Initiative
Graduate Assistant POSITIONS*:
- Center for Women and Gender Equity
- César Chávez Cultural Center: Academic Support
- César Chávez Cultural Center: Retention & Event Support
- Gender and Sexuality Resource Center
- Graduate School: Grad Student Experience
- HESAL Academic Program
- Office of Student Life: President's Leadership Program
- University Program Council
*These were the positions interviewed during HESAL Interview Days, which are now completed. We will continue to take applications for admissions until all seats are filled. Please refer to the grad school GA website for any additional postings.
Campus Box 103
418 McKee Hall
All admitted HESAL students should fill out a UNC Universal Scholarship Application to be considered for scholarships and fellowships. Once the application is submitted students will be considered on an annual basis if they meet the minimum qualifications. The application is available through Ursa on the “Financial” tab. You must have a Bear number in order to apply.
HESAL Specific Scholarships
- Dr. Jack Shaw Fund in College Student Personnel Administration: Open to all HESAL students.
- Bernie Kinnick Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership Award: for HESAL Ph.D. students gathering and or analyzing data for their dissertation; shall have approval or doctoral committee to proceed with the topic for the dissertation.
- Cosmo F. & Antoinette V. Guido Research Scholarship in Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership: for HESAL Ph. D. students conducting research on issues related to diversity and social justice prior to the comprehensive exam.
- Ted Oppelt Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership Award: for HESAL Ph.D. students with 3.5+ GPA; enrolled in six (6) or more credit hours per semester.