School of Biological Sciences
Natural and Health Sciences
Ross Hall, Room 2570
M 12:05- 1:30 W 9:00- 10:30
501 20th Street, Greeley, CO 80639
- Ph.D.: Science Education, Oregon State University, 2010
- M.S.: Genetics and Cell Biology, Washington State University, 1992
- B.S.: Microbiology, Washington State University, 1988
This is the content region for Professional/Academic Experience.
Research/Areas of Interest
My research interests center around biology education. I am interested in factors
which are important in retaining students in the biology major, especially during
their first year at the university. I am interested in the development of graduate
students and post-doc as instructors. I also study how to teach biology students scientific
skills such as: the ability to develop a research question, design an experiment,
develop and critique a scientific argument, and draw conclusions. Finally, I am interested
in how discipline-based educational researchers (DBER) and science faculty view the
relationship between DBER and science instruction.
Peer-reviewed research publications
Published under former name: Chantler, S.E.
- DeChenne, S.E., Carew, J., & Stains, M. (2014). Published Freshman Laboratory Exercises
as Indicators of Level of Awareness and Adoption of Instructional Practices Grounded
in Discipline-Based Education Research. Journal of College Science Teaching, 43(6),
60-70. This manuscript was highlighted in Editor’s Choice: In Other Journals, Science,
(2014), 345(6196), 528.
- DeChenne, S. E., Enochs, L., & Needham, M. (2012). Science, Technology, Engineering,
and Mathematics Graduate Teaching Assistants Teaching Self-Efficacy. Journal of the
Scholarship of Teaching and Learnin, 12(4), 102-123.
- DeChenne, S. E., Anderson, S. M., Lesseig, K. R., Li, S. L., Staus, N. L., Barthel,
C. (2012). Towards a Measure of Graduate Student Teaching Professional Development.
Journal of Effective Teaching, 12(1), 4-19.
- Kang, N.K., DeChenne, S.E., & Smith, G. (2012). Inquiry learning of high school students
through a problem-based environmental health science curriculum. School Science and
Mathematics, 112(3), 171-178.
- Brown, W.C., McElwain, T.F., Palmer, G.H., Chantler, S.E., Estes, D.M. (1999). Bovine
CD4(+) T-lymphocyte clones specific for rhoptry-associated protein 1 of Babesia bigemina
stimulate enhanced immunoglobulin G1 (IgG1) and IgG2 synthesis. Infection and Immunity,
- Brown, W.C., Estes, D.M., Chantler, S.E., Degerreis, K.A., Suarez, C.E. (1998). DNA
and a CpG oligonucleotide derived from Babesia bovis are mitogenic for bovine B cells.
Infection and Immunity, 66(11), 5423-32.
- Laughlin, M.J., Chantler, S.E., Okita, T.W.(1998). N- and C-terminal peptide sequences
are essential for enzyme assembly, allosteric, and/or catalytic properties of ADP-glucose
pyrophosphorylase. The Plant Journal, 14(2), 159-68.
- Greene, T.W., Chantler, S.E., Kahn, M.L., Barry, G.F., Preiss, J., Okita, T.W. (1996).
Mutagenesis of the potato tuber ADP glucose pyrophosphorylase and characterization
of an allosteric mutant defective in 3-phosphoglycerate activation. Proceedings of
the National Academy of Sciences, 93(4), 1509-1513.
- DeChenne, S.E., Olimpo, J., Ronquillo, S., Lenh, R., Le, J., and Munyaka, B. (2015,
May). Implementation of Active Learning in the Biology Classroom: An Observational
Study. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Microbiology
Committee for Undergraduate Education, Austin, TX.
- DeChenne, S.E., Olimpo, J., Munyaka, B., and Larson, N. (2014, July). Factors Impacting
Student Success and Persistence in the Biology Major. Paper presented at the annual
meeting for the Society for the Advancement of Biology Education Research, Minneapolis,
- DeChenne, S.E., Chakraverty, D., and Stains, M. (2014, July). Relationships between
DEBR and Science Instruction: Perceptions from Stakeholders. Paper presented at the
annual meeting for the Society for the Advancement of Biology Education Research,
- Olimpo, J., Munyaka, B., Larson, N., and DeChenne, S.E. (2014, July). A Comparative
Examination of Student and Faculty Expectations for Learning in an Inquiry-Based Advanced
Cellular and Molecular Biology Laboratory Course. Poster presented at the annual meeting
for the Society for the Advancement of Biology Education Research, Minneapolis, MN.
- Olimpo, J., DeChenne, S.E., Keenan, S., Munyaka, B. (2014, May). Should I Stay or
Should I Go: An Examination of Student and Faculty Expectations for Success in a First-Semester
Introductory Biology Course and Its Implications for Student Persistence in the Biology
Major. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Microbiology
Committee for Undergraduate Education, Danvers, MA.
- DeChenne, S.E., Carew, J., & Stains, M. (2013, July). Published Laboratories as Indicators
of Awareness and Adoption of DBER-Based Instructional Practices. Paper presented at
the annual meeting of the Society for the Advancement of Biology Education Research,