What is LEAP?
LEAP is a program for underserved students looking to obtain a pre-health degree in biology or chemistry at UNC. This program provides academic and social support throughout your freshman year to provide you with the necessary skills to be successful during your time at UNC and prepare you for professional schools.
- Personalized and ongoing advising to help you achieve your goals
- Academic, professional, and preparatory workshops that will cover study skills, professionalism, experiences with current medical students, leadership skills, preparation for professional schools, and more
- Access to the Courage to Excel Scholarship
- Receive support from members of past LEAP cohorts who successfully navigated their freshman year
- Academic support including a cohort format for introductory science classes, weekly study sessions, tutoring and access to research opportunities
- We help connect you to health care professionals as resources to help you fulfill shadowing, clinical hours, and volunteer hour requirements for admittance into professional schools
In fall 2018, the LEAP program will bring together its fourth cohort of twenty-four incoming freshmen students. This program fosters an inclusive community that enables you to study and learn with other students that share similar interests and goals as you do. In addition to the variety of opportunities and benefits exclusive to LEAP, it's a great way to meet new friends and have fun!
Pre-Health Four Year Worksheets
Ross 2279 C
- Join us on campus June 12-15, 2018 for the LEAP Summer Bridge Program. This workshop will introduce you to your fellow LEAP bears, the peer mentors, the Project Coordinator, faculty and advisors. You will experience life on campus and participate in an authentic research experience, engage in fun team building activities, and more.
- You'll get to meet and network with health care professionals to further explore your career goals.
" I love LEAP because it gave me leadership opportunities and essential life skills that I'll use for the rest of my life. I also had the opportunity to meet great mentors, peers, and create great friendships. I believe that LEAP created a safe and nurturing environment for me to grow as a student and person.”
- Mohamoud, 2015 cohort and peer mentor
“As a first generation student, I was unsure how the whole university process worked. LEAP has provided me with mentors who have helped me figure out the different aspects of university life and has helped me learn what I need to accomplish in order to get into medical school.”
- Matresa, 2016 cohort
“LEAP is a program where everyone makes you think outside the box. It's a program where you meet new friends who you can trust. It's a program where everyone wants you to achieve, and helps you every step of the way. LEAP helps their cohort achieve their dreams.”
- Madison, 2017 cohort