External Resources for UNC Students
Below is a list of external resources students may find helpful during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Comcast is putting in place substantial program enhancements to help students and families deal with this crisis.
We will make it even easier for low-income families who live in a Comcast service area to sign up by offering new customers 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month.
We want to make it as fast and simple as possible to access this service:
- We’ll send all new customers a free self-install kit that includes a cable modem with a Wi-Fi router. There will be no term contract or credit check and no shipping fee.
- To sign up, applicants can simply visit visit www.internetessentials.com. The accessible website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language. There are also two dedicated phone numbers 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish.
In addition, Comcast is taking these additional steps to implement the following new policies for the next 60 days, and other important initiatives:
- Xfinity WiFi Free For Everyone: Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit www.xfinity.com/wifi. Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser.
- Pausing Our Data Plan: With so many people working and educating from home, we want our customers to access the internet without thinking about data plans. While the vast majority of our customers do not come close to using 1TB of data in a month, we are pausing our data plans for 60 days giving all customers Unlimited data for no additional charge.
- No Disconnects or Late Fees: We will not disconnect a customer’s internet service or assess late fees if they contact us and let us know that they can’t pay their bills during this period. Our care teams will be available to offer flexible payment options and can help find other solutions.
- Internet Essentials Free to New Customers: As announced yesterday, it’s even easier for low-income families who live in a Comcast service area to sign-up for Internet Essentials. New customers will receive 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month. Additionally, for all new and existing Internet Essentials customers, the speed of the program’s Internet service was increased to 25 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream. That increase will go into effect for no additional fee and it will become the new base speed for the program going forward.
- News, Information and Educational Content on X1: For those with school-age students at home, we’ve created new educational collections for all grade levels in partnership with Common Sense Media. Just say “education” into your X1 or Flex voice remote. To help keep customers informed, we also have created a collection of the most current news and information on Coronavirus. Just say “Coronavirus” into your X1 or Flex voice remote.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
Students may need last-minute transportation, by reducing the age minimum and waiving the young renter fee, we will be able to help more students access rental cars during this unprecedented event.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car is waiving its young renter fee and reducing its minimum age to rent a vehicle to 18 years old. The change is effective now through the end of May in the United States.
More information is available to students by visiting College Student Travel Assistance or by calling (1-844-624-4412).
A few other key points to be aware of:
- Available to University students 18 – 24 years of age.
- Offer valid at all U.S. locations for rentals reserved in advance.
- Rental must begin on or after 3/13/2020 and end on or before 5/31/2020. Offer expires 5/31/2020. There are no min/max days or blackout dates.
- Official Student ID must be presented at the time of rental.
- Valid only for rentals of an economy through full size cars, minivans, small pick-up trucks and cargo vans.
- Normal payment protocol will be followed.
- Renter and additional driver(s) must meet driver and credit requirements, except for the minimum age per this offer.
- Offer does not apply to applicable taxes, fees, surcharges, refueling, drop-off, delivery, additional driver, pick up, or one-way charges or any optional product or service (such as optional damage waiver of $50 or less per day), which are the responsibility of the Renter.
- This offer cannot be combined with any other discount or special rate and cannot be applied to a previous or existing reservation or rental.
- Herff Jones
HOME SHIPPING of regalia will no longer be available to students.
- Why? In order to accept and process a refund, items must not have been open, used, or worn. We do not want to put students in a bad situation where they may not be able to get a refund. If students have already received their home ship items, please encourage them to leave them in the box unopened.
- Students will be able to utilize the call-tag that came with their package to return their regalia.
For information about our refund policies and how students should go about receiving a refund, please refer to the links below or have them reach out to the customer service line at 1 (800) 837-4235.
- Local Food Banks
Community Outreach Center
Generations (Wesleyan) Church (6.6 miles from 80631)
Provides food, small houseware items and clothing assistance to those in need. Services rely on volunteers' time and donations from the community.
Emergency Food Boxes - Weld Food Bank
Weld Food Bank (0 miles from 80631)
Provides a box of basic food staples to qualified families or individuals in crisis. The box is supplemented by donated perishable items. Recipients are determined by agency referral or intake evaluations by staff and are eligible to come for a food box four times in a six-month period.
Food Boxes - First Congregational United Church of Christ
First Congregational United Church of Christ (0 miles from 80631)
Offers a LIMITED number (around 10) of food boxes that can be given out each month. One food box every six months is allowed per household. Clients must contact 2-1-1 center in order to receive (possible) food box. Clients cannot get food box without first calling 2-1-1.
Food Pantry - Our Lady of Peace Roman Catholic Church
Our Lady of Peace Roman Catholic Church (0 miles from 80631)
Provides a food pantry located in the church basement and is open to everyone who is in need of food items and essentials. The Food Pantry accepts donations of non-perishable food items and monetary funds during regular operating hours.
Food Pantry - St Peter Roman Catholic Church
St Peter Roman Catholic Church (0 miles from 80631)
Catholic Church with a food pantry that provides emergency food to individuals in need. Offers dry and packaged foods. Also offers hygiene items when available.
UHaul is ready to help with several moving and self-storage options including special rates for truck and trailer rentals, as well as one-free month of storage for a one-way move.
- A UHaul truck must be rented with this promotion to receive the one-free month of storage.
- In proximity to UNC, the closest UHaul Storage facility is in Loveland, CO at 3305 N. Lincoln Avenue.
- Please contact 1-800-GO-UHAUL or visit their social media pages for the most up to date information on this assistance. UHaul Twitter Account or UHaul Facebook Account.