Jump to main content

Overpayment Procedure

1. Call Payroll immediately with detailed information (1.2700)
2. Call the Employee and let them know what happened and that Payroll will be contacting them in regards to a payment plan.
3. If the Overpayment was from the current year then a deduction can be taken from their pay and taxes and retirement can be credited back to them. If the overpay was from a prior year or they are no longer employed than they will have to pay UNC Payroll by Check.  Payroll will work out a payment plan.
4. State laws and fiscal rule 2-8.02 require that the University recover any inadvertent or erroneous wage payments made to an employee. Please note that after 90 days this is turned over to State Collections.