Master of Arts in Sport Coaching
The first of its kind in the state, the graduate program is designed as a 30-hour online program in response to growing demand in the field, notably as youth sports programs continue to expand. It’s anticipated that the coaching profession will experience double-digit growth over the decade. The 30-hour program is divided into the following course offerings:
- SES 581 Developmental Perspectives for Sport Coaching (2)
- SES 582 Psychology for Sports Coaches (3)
- SES 583 International Perspectives of Sport Coaching (3)
- SES 584 Sport Administration for Sport Coaches (3)
- SES 586 Training and Conditioning Principles for Sport Coaches (2)
- SES 587 Sport Coaching Principles and Perspectives (3)
- SES 588 Evaluation of Coaching using Technology (3)
- SES 589 Bridging Theory and Practice in Sport Coaching (3)
- SES 604 Teacher and Coach Action Research (3)
- SES 692 Graduate Internship in Sport and Exercise Science (4)
Program details, including courses, requirements, and more can be found at the UNC Extended Campus website.
The mission of the Sport Coaching master’s program is to prepare coaches to become leaders in their prospective sporting fields, by supporting the National Standards for Sport Coaches document (SHAPE America, 2019). This online degree is designed to enhance students’ coaching knowledge and expertise and to advance existing coaching practices through evaluation and application of current research. One of very few online graduate coaching degrees in the country, this innovative program combines academic knowledge with applied practice and the latest technology.