Jump to main content

Transferring Administrative and Official University Records

The University Archives & Special Collections Department is the repository for UNC's inactive official records and publications of lasting and historical importance generated by administrative offices, colleges, schools, departments, programs, and other university-related organizations. The State of Colorado Records Retention Schedule (schedule 8) guides the collecting of official university records. Please complete a Records Transfer Form each time you transfer records.

  • Types of Records Accepted

    We want records that document important information about your unit, such as: 

    • Planning, growth, development, and dissolution of UNC campus, programs, units, services, and curriculum 
    • Faculty, staff, and student activities 
    • Noteworthy events 
    • Campus culture and student life 
    • Administrative decisions and policies 
    • Relationships with the community, government, other
    • institutions, or the business community 
    • Significant financial activities 
    • Diversity initiatives 
    • Major research initiatives/projects 
    • Important building issues, such as design and functions of new facilities, major renovations, destruction or repurposing of existing facilities 

    Types of records typically acquired include, but are not limited to (hard copy or digital): 

    • Constitutions and by-laws, minutes and proceedings, and reports of units and committees 
    • Correspondence, e-mail, and subject files of college deans, program heads, and senior administrators 
    • Architectural drawings, maps, and plans 
    • All publications, newsletters, and booklets distributed under the auspices of UNC, or its earlier incarnations, including catalogs, bulletins, yearbooks, student newspapers, directories, media guides, and alumni association publications 
    • Annual financial reports 
    • Accreditation reports and supporting documents 
    • Audiovisual material from campus entities, including photographic prints, slides, and motion picture films 
    • Artifacts and ephemera, such as posters and brochures, related to UNC or its earlier incarnations   

    Types of records typically not accepted include: 

    • Exact duplicate copies of anything 
    • Routine correspondence, e.g., requests and acknowledgments 
    • Records of routine matters, e.g., requests for leave, purchase orders, receipts 
    • Reference files or research material, including news clippings, publications, and form letters of departments or organizations other than your own 
    • Rough drafts of publications, articles or reports (in most cases) 
    • Blank forms, letterhead, or other stationery 
    • Personnel records 
    • Student information and other student records 
  • How do I transfer my department's archival records? 

    A consultation with an archivist is essential before transferring records, as you will receive expert guidance on your unique records. Please contact Archives & Special Collections at library.archives@unco.edu with the following information: 

    • The types of records you have for transfer (i.e. subject files, committee records, personnel files) and the business activities they document 
    • Which office produced the records 
    • How much material you have to transfer (i.e., number of file drawers, boxes, etc.) 
    • Format: physical or electronic? 

    If the archivist decides that your records should be transferred to Archives & Special Collections, she will confirm with you which records should be transferred and coordinate boxing the records or transferring digital files. We strongly recommend that you include any inventories or indexes you have made of the records, as these will assist us in providing accurate descriptions of your material. 

  • Procedures for Preparing and Transferring Records 

    Download a PDF of these procedures

    Archives & Special Collections only accepts material determined by the archivist as having long-term historical value. It is preferred that material be properly boxed by your department prior to pick-up. This will often result in a faster transfer time. Boxes can be picked up by library personnel if scheduled in advance. Please plan accordingly. 

    1. Use the right boxes and folders. Please use boxes measuring 10"x12"x15". Boxes and folders are available for free from the archives, and can be delivered or picked up.

      • For letter-size files, 2 file drawers will require 3 boxes.
      • For legal-size files, 1 file drawer will require 2 boxes.
      • For oversized material, please contact the archivist with measurements.

    2. Box the records scheduled for transfer. The records will need to be boxed properly. Do not over-pack or under-pack the boxes. Ensure that the lid will fit properly. A correctly packed box will have enough space to remove and replace a file folder easily, but not so much space that the folders fall or bend.
      • A correctly packed box will have enough space to remove and replace a file folder easily, but not so much space that the folders fall or bend.

    3. Maintain the filing arrangement of the records (i.e. alphabetical, numerical, chronological, by subject, by committee).

    4. Keep the records in their original file folders and ensure that the files are clearly labeled; include span dates. (Example: Space Planning, 1983-1990).

    5. Remove materials from ring binders and hanging folders and place in file folders. Maintain the original order of the records. Transfer information from the ring binders and hanging folders to the file folders.  If more than one folder is needed then label as, for example, "folder 1 of 2," "folder 2 of 2," etc.
      • Maintain the original order of the records.
      • Transfer information from the ring binders and hanging folders to the file folders.
      • If more than one folder is needed then label as, for example, "folder 1 of 2," "folder 2 of 2," etc.

    6. Fill out a Records Transfer Form  and send to the Archives & Special Collections Department (library.archives@unco.edu) or with the transfer. Only one form per transfer is necessary.

    7. Clearly label the boxes with your department name and box number.

    8. Do not send material identified above as being non-archival records. 
  • How do I access my department's archival records?

    Archives & Special Collections staff will provide you with reference assistance when you would like to access the records after the transfer. You will need to come in to the Archives & Special Collections Reading Room during open hours. Requests from your office to borrow material that you transferred may be accommodated in special circumstances. 

    Please visit University of Northern Colorado Administrative Records and University of Northern Colorado Publications for more information about finding material within the university archives.