UNC’s faculty are teacher-scholars: With a deep appreciation for innovative teaching and real-world research, scholarship and creative works, we celebrate and support our faculty through strategic vision and implementation, which includes:
- Assessment Fellows serve as liaisons between the Assessment Office and their respective colleges. Assessment Fellows provide consultation, guidance, and professional development on program-level assessment of student learning.
- The Center for the Enhancement of Teaching & Learning (CETL) Faculty Fellows: CETL provides innovative services and programs to enhance learning for faculty, staff, teaching assistants, academic leaders, and the academic community. The CETL Faculty Fellows work collaboratively to support faculty across their colleges and the institution working with the CETL Associate Director for Faculty Development.
Research, Scholarship and Creative Works
Research & Publication Board
This Board is a representative body of faculty members charged with oversight of several internally funded grant programs that support the research, scholarship, and creative activities of UNC faculty members.
- The FRPB reviews proposals and selects projects for funding several times throughout the year. Grants are awarded in two categories: Research, Dissemination and Faculty Development (RDFD), and Provost Awards for Travel (PAT).
- All full-time instructional faculty members (tenured, tenure-track, and contract renewable) are eligible to apply for these grants (with the exception of faculty members who are serving as deans, chairs, and directors). Proposals from previous award recipients who are delinquent in submitting a final report will not be considered.
- RDFD Application Information and Forms
- PAT Application Information and Forms
- Provost Awards M. Lucile Harrison Award: Given for "professional excellence" in teaching, scholarship and service, this award reflects a lifetime of achievement and recipients should be those recognized as outstanding teachers, respected scholars, and those who have been active in service to the university and their profession.
- The Fulbright Program This international exchange program is sponsored by the U.S. government, and participants are chosen for their academic merit and leadership potential.
Funding and Grant Writing
- Provost Fund: The primary goal of the Provost Fund is to encourage faculty scholarship and professional activity at all levels of expertise in the faculty’s efforts to develop as teachers, researchers, scholars and artists. Funding is made available to full-time instructional faculty members through a competitive internal grant process. Funded activities are intended to support the mission and strategic goals of the university and the colleges.
- Hanover Research Grant Development Center: UNC has contracted with the Hanover Research Grant Development Center, a leader in providing grant-writing solutions to post-secondary institutions. The Hanover GDC's services include capacity building and pre-proposal services, proposal development, and proposal review and rewriting. More details are provided on the Hanover website.
- Internal Award Procedures: The procedures provide a consistent method for handling internal awards to accommodate new university budget guidelines; they apply to Provost Fund Grants, FRPB Grants, OSP Travel Grants, and Summer Support Initiative Awards. Learn more about the internal award procedure.
Summer Program for Faculty
UNC’s Summer Support Initiative (SSI) supports projects in research, scholarship, or creative works which reflect a commitment to making progress on a scholarly product or performance that ultimately stands the scrutiny of the peer review process.
Community and Civic Engagement
UNC is one of just 240 US colleges and universities to receive the Carnegie Community Engagement Classification. Read more about our commitment to fusing education with civic and community engagement, and the multiple benefits that partnership offers our students, faculty, staff, and global community.
UNC offers faculty and staff many opportunities to serve on university-wide and top-level committees such as research advisory, governance, and planning committees.
Regulations, Governance and Procedures
Select a link below for more detailed information about UNC regulations, governance and procedures.
- Academic Affairs Procedures
- UNCOA-001 Scheduling Guidelines
- UNCOA-002 Instructional Methods
- UNCOA-003 Faculty Start-up Packages
- UNCOA-004 Learning Management System
- UNCOA-005 Academic Program Proposal Process
- UNCOA-007 Curriculum Review Procedures and Documentation Requirements
- UNCOA-008 Indirect Costs
UNCOA-009 Postdoctoral Employees
- University Regulations
View or Download PDF
- Board of Trustees Policies
View or Download PDF
- Faculty Senate
View documents and policies of the governing body