Maintaining Your Aid

NOTE:Fall 2016 deadline for appeals is November 18, 2016.

Federal regulations require that the University of Northern Colorado establish a policy to monitor the academic progress of students who apply for and/or receive federal, state and institutional aid. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress toward their academic objective in order to maintain their eligibility for financial aid.

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and the associated policies may have changed for the next academic year. All students need to read this material carefully, and direct any questions to the Office of Financial Aid at 970-351-2502.

Please note: Academic Suspension appeals policy expectations differ from the Financial Aid Ineligibility Appeal Policy and have a separate application process. Instructions for academic appeal are available at

Ineligible for Aid

If Ineligible for Aid, you’re no longer eligible to receive financial assistance under any state or federal financial aid programs administered by or through the University of Northern Colorado. Being Ineligible for Aid does not prohibit your enrollment at UNC, but you will be responsible for all charges incurred. Being Ineligible for Aid remains in effect unless removed by the Appeals Committee (See Financial Aid Appeals in the SAP standards document). If you are academically suspended and then are readmitted to the university, you must still appeal your financial aid suspension. If financial assistance is received and you were not eligible for it, repayment of that aid is required immediately. The entire financial aid Refund/Repayment Policy may be obtained upon request from the Office of Financial Aid.

Student Name Change

Please note that if you are changing your legal name with UNC, you must also change it with the Social Security Administration if your new name is different from the name they have, and if you have a financial aid application on file, you must make the change to your name on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid after you have made the change with Social Security. Students with Pell Grants who do not follow the procedure risk losing the Pell Grant until the issue is resolved.