Jump to main content

Work-Study and Student Employment

One popular source of financial aid is student employment. Student employment includes federal and state need-based work-study programs, no-need state work-study programs and student-hourly employment, which is available to any student enrolled at least half time, regardless of their financial aid eligibility.

Research shows that students who are employed for a reasonable number of hours per week, while attending college, tend to get better grades because they are more organized and responsible.

The Office of Student Employment at UNC is a part of the Office of Financial Aid and serves students seeking employment on and off campus during the academic year and summer term.


Student Employee Handbook -
coming soon


Student Employer Handbook -
coming soon

  • Need-Based Work-Study

    Federal and state work study programs are need-based aid programs that allow you to work and earn money and may be included as part of the financial aid package that you are awarded.

    • Apply for work study assistance by submitting the FAFSA by the March 1 preferential filing date each year and indicating that you are interested in work study.
    • Undergraduates must enroll for at least 12 credits; graduate students must enroll for at least 5 credits.
    • Undergraduates will be considered for state and federal work study; graduates and nonresidents may only receive federal work study.
    • On-campus employers include but are not limited to:
      • Michener Library
      • Residence Life (Housing/Food Service)
      • Facilities & Operations
      • Academic/Administrative Offices
      • Parking Services
      • Campus Police
      • Campus Recreation
      • University Center
    • Limited off-campus jobs are also available with the following nonprofit agencies:
      • Boys & Girls Club
      • School District #6
      • North Range Behavioral Health
      • Union Colony Civic Center
      • City of Greeley - Recreation Department
      • City of Evans - Recreation Department
      • Lutheran Family Services
      • The Mirror
      • ARC of Weld County
    • Your work study allocation is the total dollar amount that you may earn during the academic year.
    • A student employee may never exceed a 40-hour work week even during periods of non-enrollment.
    • Freshmen are advised to work between 10-12 hours a week their first year.
    • Continuing students are advised not to work more then 20 hours a week when classes are in session.
    • A student-employee must maintain good academic standing.
    • Work Authorizations are emailed to the bear email at the beginning of the semester.  Work study may be canceled 60 days after the start of the semester if not being utilized. 
  • No-Need Work-Study

    To apply for no-need work-study, you must have completed the FAFSA and not qualify for need-based financial assistance. This award is only for Colorado resident undergraduate students. If you qualify for no-need work-study:

    • May be available to Colorado resident undergraduate students whose FAFSA's were filed on time but who didn't have sufficient financial need (estimated family contribution exceeds cost of attendance) to be eligible for other forms of financial aid.
    • To be eligible you must carry at least 12 credit hours and be in good academic standing.
    • Office of Financial Aid will send an award letter offering this employment program to eligible students.
    • Jobs may be on or off campus (with designated agencies) and often can give you experience in your field of study.
    • Work Authorizations are emailed to the bear email at the beginning of the semester.  Work study may be canceled 60 days after the start of the semester if not being utilized. 
  • Student Hourly Employment

    Any UNC student enrolled can seek student-hourly employment on campus, regardless of financial aid eligibility.

    • To avoid paying into retirement and Medicare, undergraduate students are required to carry a minimum of six credit hours per semester and graduate students must take five credit hours per term. Students enrolled less than half time will need to contact UNC’s Payroll Office to inquire about enrollment requirements in relation to paying into retirement and Medicare.
    • All student-employees must obtain authorization from their employer before starting a job.
    • Students attending classes on a part-time basis during spring semester, who are also pre-registered part-time for fall, can be considered for student employment for summer. New students, those who did not attend spring semester, must be pre-registered for fall to be considered for student employment for summer.
    • Once a student graduates, employment for the next term is an option if the student has been admitted to Graduate School, or another degree-granting program.

    Student Employee Handbook

Student Employment Job Bank

The Student Employment and Career Services offices have combined their respective job banks in order to better streamline our services.  This was done to provide smoother and more efficient job searching capabilities for our students, and productive job postings for our potential employers. As a student you will click on the Student Job Search - Handshake link, for instructions on how to log in, click on the "How do I Use Handshake?" link on the Career Services webpage. For potential employers, you will click on the Employers Posting Positions link below, and choose the "Employers" bullet, then click on the "Post a Job or Internship" option. 

This is an exciting, collaboration and we look forward to answering any questions you may have.  For further information you may reach Career Services at 970-351-2127, or Student Employment at 970-351-2628, during 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday.

Student Employee Job Fair

During fall semester the Office of Student Employment hosts the UNC Job Fair at the University Center. The Job Fair provides you with a chance to talk to employers in one convenient location. Employers take applications and/or may hire that day for work study and student-hourly positions.

Student Recognition

Our student workers are a Vitale part of our university family. Each year we celebrate their help and achievements during the 2nd week of April. This time each year is set aside for campus employers to recognize and appreciate the contributions of their student staff as well as select a Student Employee of the Year.

Student Employee Wage Rates

No student may be paid less than the minimum wage, or more than the highest wage listed below.

  • Minimum wage is $9.30 per hour. This rate is used for new students or students with little experience.
  • Students may be paid any amount between $9.30 and $15.00 per hour.
  • Higher wages ($13-$15) should be used for Master/Doctorate students and students with a high level of experience.
  • Raises are at the discretion of the employer.

Direct Deposit Form

Summer Employment

Students interested in Summer Employment opportunities should contact employers directly about summer work opportunities. Individual departments pay students through hourly budgets. Students interested in summer employment can find open positions at Handshake