UNC is committed to making every attempt to keep the cost of attendance manageable for all students. However, even with this commitment to reasonable educational costs, many UNC students must take out student loans to meet their educational expenses. UNC has several loan options available. These are all interest bearing loans, which must be repaid. An educational loan is an investment in your education; it is also a tremendous financial responsibility since a loan must be repaid to the lender with interest. It is always best to borrow only what you need to meet your educational expenses.
Loan Counseling, Entrance and Exit Interviews
In an effort to increase understanding and reduce the default rate for student loans, the Federal Government requires that all first time borrowers complete an online entrance counseling session.
If you have previously received a loan at UNC and have completed entrance counseling, for Stafford Loans you are NOT required to complete another session. You WILL be required to complete an online session if you received a loan while attending a different school even though you attended an entrance counseling session at that institution.
Loan Entrance Interviews
An E-mail message will be sent to UNC when you have completed this requirement.
- DL Stafford Entrance Interview: If you are an undergraduate student and borrowing a Stafford loan you will be required to complete this.
- DL Plus Entrance Interview: If you are a parent and borrowing a Plus loan with an endorser you will be required to complete this.
- DL Grad Plus Entrance Interview: If you are a graduate student and borrowing a Plus loan you will be required to complete this.
Once a session is completed, loan proceeds may be available in three working days, provided that all other disbursement requirements have been met.
In addition, student borrowers who are graduating must complete exit counseling online during the last semester of attendance. Failure to complete exit counseling may result in a hold on all University services and materials including transcripts, diplomas and registration.
Loan Exit Interviews
Federal Loan Requirements
- Applicants must have a current year FAFSA on file and eligibility determined by the UNC Office of Financial Aid.
- Students must not be in default of a federal loan, owe a payment on a federal grant or have reached the lifetime borrowing limit.
- All full academic year (loans for Fall and Spring) Stafford and PLUS Loans must be disbursed in two installments during the term of the loan.
- First-time Stafford Loan borrowers must complete an entrance interview prior to receiving loan funds.
- First-time Graduate PLUS borrowers must complete Grad Plus Entrance Counseling prior to receiving loan funds.
- Stafford borrowers not returning to UNC must complete an online exit interview prior to leaving campus.
- Borrowers must keep their lenders informed of any changes in enrollment status, name changes and/or address changes.
- NSLDS (National Student Loan Data System) Federal Loan (Title IV), information will be submitted to NSLDS, and will be made accessible by guarantee agencies, lenders, schools determined to be authorized users of the data system.
Many of our students will be borrowing for the first time in their lives. Students should attempt to borrow the minimum amount possible to insure that after graduation they can comfortably accommodate student loan payments.
Whom can I contact if I have questions about processing?
If you have questions pertaining to processing your student loans please contact us at (970) 351-2502.