School of Biological Sciences
Natural and Health Sciences
Ross Hall, Room 2546
501 20th Street, Greeley, CO 80639
- Ph.D.: Clemson University
- M.S.: Clemson University
- B.S.: West Virginia University
This is the content region for Professional/Academic Experience.
Research/Areas of Interest
My current research focuses on prostaglandin metabolism in reproductive tissues of
mammals. Specifically, I am investigating the use of long-chain omega 3-fatty acids
as a way to reduce prostaglandin secretion in uterine and luteal tissues and improve
Peer-reviewed research publications
- ML Merrill, RP Ansotegui, PD Burns, MD MacNeil, and TW Geary (in press) Effects of flunixin meglumine and transportation on pregnancy establishment in beef
cows. Journal of Animal Science.
- KJ Whitman, TE Engle, PD Burns, KL Dorton, JK Ahola, RM Enns, and TL Stanton (2007) Effects of copper and zinc source on performance, carcass characteristics, and lipid
metabolism in finishing steers. The Professional Animal Scientist 23:36.
- Ahola, JK, DS Baker, PD Burns, JC Whittier, and TE Engle. Effects of copper, zinc, and manganese source on mineral
status, reproduction, immunity, and calf performance in young beef females over a
two-year period. The Professional Animal Scientist (2005) 21:305-317.
- Ahola, JK, TE Engle, and PD Burns. Effect of copper status, supplementation, and source on pituitary responsiveness
to exogenous gonadotropin-releasing hormone in ovariectomized beef cows. Journal of
Animal Science (2005) 83:1812-1823.
- Ahola, JK, LR Sharpe, KL Dorton, PD Burns, TL Stanton, and TE Engle. Effects of lifetime copper, zinc, and manganese supplementation
and source on performance, mineral status, immunity, and carcass characteristics of
feedlot cattle. The Professional Animal Scientist (2005) 21:297-304.
- Wamsley, NE, PD Burns, TE Engle, and RM Enns. Fish meal supplementation alters uterine prostaglandin F2
synthesis in beef heifers with low luteal-phase progesterone. Journal of Animal Science
- Walker, RS, PD Burns, JC Whittier, GE Sides, and DD Zalesky. Evaluation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone
and insemination time using the CO-synch protocol in beef cows. The Professional Animal
Scientist (2005) 21:190-194.
- Walker, RS, PD Burns, TE Engle, GS Sides, and DD Zalesky. Effects of human chorionic gonadotropin administration
on artificial insemination pregnancy rates in beef heifers. The Professional Animal
Scientist (2005): In Press.
- Ahola, JK, DS Baker, PD Burns, RG Mortimer, RM Enns, JC Whittier, and TE Engle. Effect of trace mineral supplementation
and source on reproductive performance, immune response, and calf performance in grazing
beef cattle over a two-year period. Journal of Animal Science (2004) 82:2375-2383.
- Meola MG, T Grandin, and PD Burns. Hair whorl patterns on the bovine forehead may be related to breeding soundness
measures. Theriogenology (2004) 62:450-457.
- Burns PD, TE Engle, MA Harris, RM Enns, and JC Whittier. Effect of fish meal supplementation
on plasma and endometrial fatty acid composition in non-lactating beef cows. Journal
of Animal Science (2003) 81:2840-2846.
- Mendes, JOB Jr., PD Burns, JF De La Torre-Sanchez, and GE Seidel, Jr. Effect of heparin on cleavage rates and
embryo production with four bovine sperm preparation protocols. Theriogenology (2003) 60:331-340.
- Burns PD, TR Bonnette, TE Engle, and JC Whittier. Case Study: effects of fishmeal supplementation
on fertility and plasma -fatty acid profiles in primiparous, lactating beef cows.
The Professional Animal Scientist (2002) 18:373-379.
- Burns PD, JOB Mendes Jr., RS Yemm, CM Clay, SE Nelson, SH Hayes, and WJ Silvia. Cellular mechanisms
by which oxytocin mediates ovine endometrial prostaglandin F2 synthesis: role of
Gi proteins and mitogen-activated protein kinases. Biology of Reproduction (2001) 65:1150-1155.
- Burns PD, GA Graf, SH Hayes, and WJ Silvia. Effect of oxytocin on expression of cytosolic
phospholipase A2 mRNA and protein in ovine endometrial tissue in vivo. Domestic Animal
Endocrinology (2000) 19:237-246.