FAQ about Visiting UNC
Thinking about visiting us on campus? Check out some of our most frequently asked questions.
- What if traveling to campus isn’t an option for me, or, I don't feel safe traveling
to campus for a tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic?
We encourage you to check out our Virtual Tour as an option to explore campus. You can also set up a 1-1 phone or video appointment with your admission counselor.
- What COVID-19 risk reduction strategies will I need to follow during my visit?
- Who can attend your campus visits?
Our visit programs are ideal for prospective undergraduate students and their families/guests. We welcome prospective students of any age or stage in the college search process. Prospective graduate students are also welcome to attend a campus visit, though we also recommend connecting with your specific academic department as well.
- When should I visit UNC?
You can view ourvisit website for the most comprehensive listing of visit optionsto select a day and time that works for you. If possible, we recommend visiting on a weekday when classes are in session for the most comprehensive tour.
- How far in advance should I schedule my visit?
When possible, we prefer visitors to schedule at least 2–4 weeks in advance. However, we do our best to accommodate visitors on short notice. Registration typically opens no more than 2–3 months in advance of the visit date.
- Can I attend a campus tour as a “drop-in” without registering in advance?
We prefer that all visitors register on our website before taking a guided tour. Drop-in attendees without a reservation may be invited to join a guided tour on a space-available basis or take the self-guided tour.
- How will I know you received my tour or event registration?
Once the registration form is submitted, students and their guests will receive parking instructions and other important arrival details via email.
- How can I change or cancel my scheduled visit?
To change or cancel your scheduled visit, please use the link in your confirmation email.
- What if I want to visit at a time when tours are not available?
Check back regularly as new tour times may be added! If not, call the Admissions Office at 970-351-2881.
- Do you offer overnight stays in the residence halls?
A sample residence hall room is showcased on campus tours, but no overnight guests are allowed during the academic year. The UNC has several that we recommend and you can learn about this on our travel and planning page!
- I am a high school teacher or counselor planning a tour for a group of my students. How can I arrange that?
- Can I bring pets to campus?
University policy states that no pets are allowed inside campus buildings. However, service animals are allowed.