Department Chair, Professor of Geology
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Natural Health Sciences
- Ph.D. Geology - University of Oregon
- M.S. Geology - University of Oregon
- B.S. Geology, Honors - St. Lawrence University
Dr. Grover joined the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences as the Department
Chair in July 2018. He previously served for over 10 years as the Chair of the Natural
Sciences Department at Castleton University in Vermont.
Research/Areas of Interest
Dr. Grover's research interests are metamorphic petrology, tectonics, and petrochronology
His current research involves studying the geologic evolution of upper amphibolite
– granulite facies rocks in the eastern Adirondacks. The research involves both a
field and laboratory component. The project involves integrating field data, petrofabric
analysis including kinematic indicators, metamorphic mineral assemblages, metamorphic
mineral chemistry analyzed with an electron microprobe, along with monazite and zircon
geochemistry and age data to understand the Mesoproterozoic geologic evolution of
the eastern Adirondacks.
- West, David P., Beal, Heather M., and Grover, Timothy W., 2003, Silurian deformation and metamorphism of Ordovician arc rocks of the Casco
Bay Group, south-central Maine: Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, v. 40, no. 6,
- McDonough, M.R., McNicoll, V.J., Schetselaar, E.M. and Grover, T.W (2000) Geochronologic and kinematic constraints on crustal shortening and escape in
an two-sided, oblique-slip collisional and magmatic orogen, Paleoproterozoic Taltson
magmatic zone, northeastern Alberta, Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, v. 37, p.
- Grover, T.W., Pattison, D.R.M., McDonough, M.R, and McNicoll, V.J. (1997) Tectonometamorphic
evolution of the southern Taltson magmatic zone and associated shear zones, northeastern
Alberta, Canadian Mineralogist, v. 35, p. 1051-1067.
- Ghent, E.D. and Grover, T.W. (1995) Calculation and application of the activities of Al2SiO5, TiO2, and H2O in the petrology of garnet zone metapelitic rocks, southern Esplanade Range, B.C.
American Journal of Science, v.295, p. 923-942.
- Grover, Timothy W. and Newberg, Donald W., 2016, Reconnaissance bedrock geology of the Damariscotta quadrangle,
Maine: Open-File Map 16-22, Maine Geological Survey, Augusta, Maine, p. 1 sheet.
- Grover, Timothy W. and West, David P., Jr., 2014, Bedrock geology of the East Pittston quadrangle, Maine:
Open-File Map 14-30, Maine Geological Survey, Augusta, Maine, p. 1 sheet.
- Grover, Timothy W., 2014, Bedrock geology of the Winthrop Quadrangle, Maine: Open-File Map 14-3, Maine
Geological Survey, Augusta, Maine, p. 1 sheet.
- Grover, Timothy W., 2007, Bedrock geology of the North Whitefield Quadrangle, Maine: Open-File No.
07-55, Maine Geological Survey, Augusta, Maine, p. 1 sheet.
- Grover, Timothy W. and Fernandes, Leslie C., 2003, Geology of the Weeks Mills Quadrangle, Maine: Open-File
No. 03-49, Maine Geological Survey, Augusta, Maine, p. 1 sheet.