Friends of the UNC Libraries
Welcome to the Friends of UNC Libraries!
The Friends of UNC Libraries serves as a network of engaged alumni, faculty, emeritus faculty, staff, students, and community members promoting and supporting the Libraries' services, collections, space, and programs through advocacy and fundraising efforts. We welcome new members throughout the year.
Origin and History of the Friends of UNC Libraries
Since its inception in 1973, Friends of UNC Libraries has facilitated the University's outreach by promoting its rich cultural and academic resources to the community and creating forums for intellectual and artistic exchange. The Friends has contributed in tangible ways to the operation of UNC Libraries. Activities undertaken and co-hosted over the years have included art exhibits, music recitals, speaker series, used book sales, and fundraising projects.
Directions pursued by Friends of UNC Libraries evolve alongside the mission, needs, and priorities of the Libraries and draw upon the interests, talents, and connections of our members. With the launch of the University Libraries Strategic Priorities 2021-2024, Friends has begun to adjust their governance guidelines for alignment and efficacy. Drafts will be shared with Friends for review, recommendations, and approval.
Friends' Existing Statements of Purpose
Although previously without a formal mission statement, the Friends have always pursued the following objectives:
- To promote the growth and usefulness of the University Libraries.
- To increase community interest in developing unique library resources.
- To attract bequests and gifts of books, manuscripts, and appropriate materials.
- To sponsor exhibits, programs, and other events.
Proposed Mission Statement and Revised Objectives
The Mission of the Friends is to serve as a network of engaged alumni, current and emeritus faculty, staff, students, and community members promoting and supporting the Libraries’ services, collections, space, and programming through advocacy and fundraising efforts. All such efforts intentionally reflect the values of access, collaboration, innovation, professional development and growth, social justice, and stewardship, as described in the University Libraries Strategic Priorities 2021-2024.
The Friends aspire to achieving the following objectives:
- Promote the outreach and positive impact of the University Libraries.
- Increase the community’s interest in developing and accessing library resources unique to the area and the State of Colorado.
- Sponsor exhibits, programs, brochures, and other displays and communications.
- Fully fund and grow the Friends of the UNC Libraries Endowment through the UNC Foundation.
Interim Dean of University Libraries
Archives & Special Collections
Reserve Rooms & Equipment
Schedule Library Instruction
Request a Purchase
Give to the Libraries
Ask a Librarian
Skinner Music Library