Exceptions to 1-Year Requirement

  • Colorado Employment & Relocation

    Granting in-state student status to a child who moves to Colorado during the child’s senior year of high school as the result of the child’s parent or legal guardian taking a job in the state that requires relocating to Colorado. 

    • Child’s parent or legal guardian moved their family to CO for the purpose of accepting a job in the state during the child’s senior year of high school.
    • Child moved with their parent or legal guardian to CO during the child’s senior yr of high school and they graduated from a CO public high school.
    • Must be a legal resident of the US.

    §27-7-111 Colorado Residency Statutes

  • Four-Year Rule

    If your parents (or court-appointed legal guardians) maintain Colorado domicile for four years and subsequently establish domicile elsewhere, you will remain eligible for resident tuition if:

    • Your parents leave Colorado after your junior year of high school and you enroll at a Colorado public college or university within three years and six months after your parents leave Colorado.
    • You maintain continuous Colorado domicile. This provision will generally be met if you continue to reside in Colorado after your parents leave or if you reside outside the state only temporarily (for example, to attend college or for military service) while maintaining Colorado domiciliary connections such as voter registration and income tax filing.
  • Colorado High School Graduate

    A student can qualify for resident tuition regardless of emancipation, parent domicile or parent citizenship if the student:

    • Is a U.S. citizen (green card holders do not qualify), AND
    • Graduated from a Colorado high school or received a Colorado GED, AND
    • Attended a Colorado high school for at least the three years immediately preceding enrollment in a Colorado institution of higher education. In the case of a GED, the three-year requirement is a physical residence requirement rather than a high school residence requirement.
  • Economic Development Incentive
    The Economic Development Incentive provides exception to the one-year domicile requirement for employees (not spouses) and employee’s children (unmarried child under 22 years of age on the first day of the term) of companies who move to Colorado pursuant to an incentive from the Office of Economic Development or a local government economic incentive program. The employee must have been employed by the employer prior to the relocation. See the Tuition Classification Officer for the necessary Economic Development Form if you believe you qualify.
  • New Faculty

     This initiative provides exception to the one-year domicile requirement for the child of a new faculty member (not the faculty member or spouse) who is employed at a state-supported institution of higher education. The student (unmarried child under 22 years of age on the first day of the term) will qualify for resident tuition if the student’s parent (or court appointed legal guardian) moves to Colorado to take a faculty position.