University of Northern Colorado
School of Teacher Education
Campus Box 107
Greeley, CO 80639
- Doctor of Philosophy. Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona.
Curriculum and Instruction, Elementary Mathematics Education.
- Master of Education. Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona.
Curriculum and Instruction, Elementary Mathematics Education
- Bachelor of Arts. Duksung Women’s University, Seoul, Korea.
French Language and Literature
Dr. Kang is also interested in international education program. She is associated
with Korean community and students at UNC campus and also involved with global internship
of K~12 teachers between Korea and the United States.
This is the content region for other experience.
Research/Areas of Interest
Dr. Kang has conducted and published research in the area of elementary preservice
teachers’ learning focusing on identity development, field experience, elementary
students’ mathematical thinking, and elementary mathematics curriculum analysis.
Dr. Kang teaches mathematics methods classes for elementary and early childhood levels
and also teaches mathematics practicum. She works with teacher candidates and local
schools to practice mathematics instruction that meet the needs of students with diverse
backgrounds. Her teaching philosophy emphasizes teaching mathematics with understanding
and utilizing children’s mathematical thinking in instruction.
- Kang, H. J. (2014). A Cross-National Comparative Study of First and Fourth Grade Math
Textbooks Between Korea and the United States.
- Guerra Lombardi, P., Kang, H. J. & Lim, W. (2014). Equal Sign Understanding in Four Countries. Proceedings of the 38th Conference of the International Group for Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME
International) and the 36th Conference of the North American Chapter of the Psychology of Mathematics Education
(PME-NA): Vancouver, Canada
- Kim, S.H. & Kang, H. J. (2014) A Case Study of the Field Experience of a Korean Mathematics
Pre-Service Teacher in the U.S. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 4, (14), 52-62
- Battey, D., Llamas-Flores, S., Burke, M., Guerra, P., Kang, H. J., & Kim, S. H., (2013).
ELL policy and mathematics professional development colliding: Placing teacher experimentation
within a social, historical, and political context. Teachers College Record, 115 (7).