Rose Grose, PhD
Community Health Education
Natural and Health Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Community Health Education
Campus Box 132
Greeley, CO 80639
- PhD, Social Psychology (Feminist Studies), University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa
- MS, Social Psychology, University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
- BA, Psychology, Women’s Studies, magna cum laude, Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo, MI
- Sex Educator Certificate, San Francisco Sex Information, San Francisco, CA
- 2018-present, Assistant Professor, Department of Community Health Education, University
of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO
- 2018-present, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Colorado School of Public Health at the
Anschutz Medical Campus.
- 2017-2018, Instructor, Department of Community Health and Preventive Medicine Morehouse
School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
- 2017-2018, Satcher Health Policy Leadership Fellow, The Satcher Health Leadership
Institute, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
- 2018, Qualitative Analysis Intern, Resilience and Transgender Youth Study, Division
of Adolescent and School Health, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD,
and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA
- 2018, Health Policy Intern, Georgia Equality, Atlanta, GA
- 2016-2017, Gender, Family, and Global Health Post-Doctoral Fellow, Hubert Department
of Global Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
Research/Areas of Interest
Research Areas of Interest
- Gender, power, and sexuality
- Women’s sexual empowerment
- Social determinants of sexual health
- Gendered power and violence against women
- LGBTQ health promotion
Teaching Areas of Interest
- Human Sexuality (HUSR 336)
- Health Policy, Advocacy, Leadership and Management (CH635)
- Epidemiology (CH620)
- Public Health Issues in Reproductive Health (CH575)
- Sexual Health Promotion
- Global Women’s Health
- Social Determinants of Health
- Grose, R. G., Chen, J. S., Roof, K. A., Rachel, S., & Yount, K. M. (2020). Sexual
and reproductive health outcomes of violence against women and girls in lower-income
countries: A review of reviews. The Journal of Sex Research. [online, open access]. doi:10.1080/00224499.2019.1707466
- Hayford, S. R., Garver, S., Soura, A. B., Cheong, Y. F., Grose, R. G., & Yount, K. M. (2020). Community influences on female genital mutilation/cutting:
A comparison of four francophone West African countries. Studies in Family Planning. [early view]. doi:10.1111/sifp.12109
- Yount, K. M., Cheong, Y. F., Grose, R. G., & Hayford, S. R. (2020). Community gender systems and daughter’s risk of female genital
mutilation/cutting: Multilevel findings from Egypt. PLoSOne. [accepted]. medRxiv reprint doi:10.1101/19005520
- Grose, R.G., Hayford, S.R., Cheong, Y.F., Garver, S., Kandala, N.B., & Yount, K.M. (Accepted).
Community influences on female genital mutilation/cutting in Kenya: Norms, opportunities,
and ethnic diversity. Journal of Health and Social Behavior.
- Grose, R. G., Roof, K., Semenza, D., Leroux, X., & Yount, K. M. (2019). Mental health, empowerment,
and violence against adolescent girls and young women in lower income countries: A
systematic review of reviews. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 46, 25-36. doi:10.1016/j.avb.2019.01.007
- Grabe, S., Grose, R.G., & Dutt, A. (2015). Women’s land ownership and relationship power: A mixed methods
approach to understanding structural inequities and violence against women. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 39, 7-19. doi:10.1177/0361684314533485 (Winner of the 2015 Georgia Babladelis Best Paper
- Grose, R.G., & Sher, A. (2015). PhD students’ professional development. Graduate Policy Journal [Online publication of the University of California Student Association], 1, 10-14.
- Grose, R.G., Dutt, A., & Grabe, S. (2014). Power, overview. In T. Teo (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Critical Psychology (pp. 1474-1479). New York: Springer Science+Business Media.
- Grose, R.G., & Grabe, S. (2014). Sociocultural attitudes surrounding menstruation and alternative
menstrual products: The explanatory role of self-objectification. Health Care for Women International, 35, 677-694. doi:10.1080/07399332.2014.888721
- Grose, R.G., & Grabe, S. (2014). The explanatory role of relationship power and control in domestic
violence against women in Nicaragua: A feminist psychology analysis. Violence Against Women, 20, 972-993. doi:10.1177/1077801214546231
- Grose, R.G., Grabe, S., & Kohfeldt, D. (2014). Sexual education, gender ideology, and youth sexual
empowerment. Journal of Sex Research, 51, 742-753. doi:10.1080/00224499.2013.809511
Recent Conference Presentations
*Denotes work conducted with a student in training.
- *Robles, B., & Grose, R. G. (Nov. 8, 2019). “Ethnic group disparities in sexual knowledge and risk behavior.”
Poster presented at the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality Annual Meeting,
- *Grose, R.G., Driffin, D., Brown, E., Roth-Bayer, C., & Paulk, E. (Nov. 9, 2018). “The Youth HIV
Policy Advisors Program: Addressing Social Determinants of Health Through Policy Advocacy
and Empowerment.” Paper to be presented at the Society for the Scientific Study of
Sexuality Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- *Grose, R.G., Chen, J.S., Roof, K.A., & Yount, K.M. (Nov. 10, 2017). “Sexual and reproductive health
consequences of gender-based violence against adolescents in low- and middle-income
countries.” Paper presented at the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality Annual
Meeting, Atlanta, GA.
- *Grose, R.G., Rhodes, E., Myers, E.C., & Yount, K. (June 23, 2017). “Women’s empowerment and intimate
partner violence in Colombia.” Paper presented at the Psychological Study of Social
Issues Conference. Albuquerque, NM.
- *Grose, R.G., Roof, K.A., Semenza, D., Leroux, X., & Yount, K.M. (Feb. 22, 2017). “Gender-based
violence, mental health, and empowerment in adolescence: A systematic review of reviews
in low- and middle- income countries.” Paper presented at the International Studies
Association Annual Convention, Baltimore, MD.
- Grose, R.G. (Nov. 15, 2015). “Beyond the gay/straight binary: Sexual subjectivity and sexual
behavior of mostly heterosexual, bisexual, pansexual, and queer women.” Poster presented
at the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality Annual Meeting, Albuquerque,
- *Andrus, S., Grose, R. G., & Grabe, S. (May 8, 2015). “Sexual well-being in undergraduate women
with and without past sexual partners.” Poster presented at the UCLA Psychology Undergraduate
Research Conference, Los Angeles, CA.
- Grose, R.G. (Nov. 9, 2014). “Applying empowerment theory: A paradigm for understanding women’s
sexual pleasure.” Paper presented at the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality
Annual Meeting, Omaha, NE.
- Grose, R.G. (June 29, 2014). “Women’s sexual pleasure and empowerment.” Poster presented at the
10th Biennial Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues convention, Portland,