Become the Teacher You Want to Be...
The Center for Urban Education, located at UNC’s Denver Center at Lowry, offers a Bachelor of Arts degree with or without teacher licensure in:
Early Childhood Education: This program focuses on teaching children from birth through age 8 in a variety of settings. Through meaningful and authentic coursework and field experiences, students connect theory, research and practical information.
Elementary Education: This program focuses on teaching children in grades kindergarten through six. Through meaningful and authentic coursework and field experiences, students gain strong preparation in the academic content areas of English, mathematics, science, social studies, physical education, and the arts.
Special Education: This program prepares preservice teachers to teach students with a variety of exceptionalities, ages 5-21. Through meaningful coursework and ongoing field experiences, students connect theory, research and practice.
Upcoming Center for Urban Education Events
- Tuesday, February 11, 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. – Open House for counselors, principals and school leaders to address teacher shortages. Lunch will be provided. RSVP by emailing "RSVP for Open House" to Rosanne.Fulton@unco.edu
- Friday, February 21, 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. – Future Teacher Conference (UNC Campus): presentations and workshops for future teachers. See the agenda and register by February 10.
- Tuesday, February 25, 12:30-3:30 p.m. – Interview Day (for all Juniors and Seniors)
- Friday, March 20, 1:30-4:00 p.m. – The Essence of Brilliant Teaching: presentation by Dr. Yemi Stembridge. RSVP by emailing "RSVP for Stembridge" to Rosanne.Fulton@unco.edu
- Saturday, May 9 – Last day of Spring 2020 CUE classes
SUPPORTING URBAN SCHOOLS & STUDENTS
The UNC Center for Urban Education provides the Denver metro area with access to UNC’s renowned teacher and childhood education programs.
Future Teacher Conference
Do you want to be a teacher?
Join us for the fifth annual Future Teacher Conference at the University of Northern Colorado on Friday, February 21, 2020.
UNC Center for Urban Education
Location – the Center for Urban Education is located in the UNC Denver Center at Lowry:
1059 Alton Way
Denver, CO 80230
Growing Our Own for Urban Classrooms:
The Paraprofessionals-to-Teachers Pipeline
The Center for Urban Education is thrilled to begin a new initiative: Growing Our Own for Urban Classrooms: The Paraprofessionals-to-Teachers Pipeline. Thanks to a $125,000 grant award from the Colorado Department of Education's Plan Into Action grant program, we will have the opportunity to recruit, develop and retain a diverse teacher corps that supports strong learning outcomes for all students in urban environments and throughout Colorado. This grant will help the Center for Urban Education...
- Recruit and develop additional teachers from underrepresented communities;
- Increase our sustainable teacher pipeline through which graduates are hired into partner schools;
- Increase partnership opportunities with area school districts; and
- Provide professional development to help area educators develop culturally-responsive curriculum.