Jennifer Urbach, Ph.D.
School of Special Education
- Ph.D. University of Colorado (Boulder), Instruction and Curriculum in Content Areas
- M.A. Indiana University, Special Education
- B.A. Saint Mary's College Notre Dame, Elementary Education
- 2014-Present: University of Northern Colorado, Associate Professor and Undergradate
- 2006-2013: University of Northern Colorado, Associate/Assistant Professor
- 2001-2006: University of Colorado (Boulder), Course Instructor, Student Teaching Supervisor
and Research Assistant
- 1997-1998: University of Portland and University of Notre Dame Alliane for Catholic
Education (A.C.E.) Program, Course Instructor
- 1992-1993: University of Indiana, Teaching Assistant
- 2000-2001: Kemp Elementary Commerce City, CO, Special Education Teacher
- 1993-2000: Prairie Vista School Granger, IN, Special Education Teacher
Research/Areas of Interest
- Highly Effective Special Education Teachers
- Beginning Teachers' Knowledge and Practices Effective Professional Development
- Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Scientifically-based Reading Instruction
Urbach, J., Moore, B. A., Klingner, J. K., Galman, S., Haager, D. Brownell, M. T.
(2015). “That’s my job:” Comparing the beliefs of more and less accomplished special
educators related to their roles and responsibilities. Teacher Education and Special Education: The Journal of the Teacher Education Division
of the Council for Exceptional Children. 38(4)323-336.
Brownell, M. T., Lauterbach, A. A., Dingle, M., Boardman, A., Urbach, J., Leko, M.
& Park, Y. & Benedict, A. (2014). Individual and contextual factors influencing
special education teacher learning in Literacy Learning Cohorts. Learning Disability Quarterly. 37(1) 31-44.
Urbach, J. & Eckhoff, A. (2012). Release the dragon: The role of popular culture in
children’s stories. Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood.13 (1), 27-37.
Luckner, J. L. & Urbach, J (2012). Reading fluency and students who are Deaf and
Hard of Hearing: Synthesis of the research. Communication Disorders Quarterly 33(4), 230-241.
Honors and Awards
- 2015 CEBS Advisor Of The Year Nominee, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley
- 2014 CEBS Teacher Of The Year Nominee, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley
- 2011 CEBS Advisor Of The Year Nominee, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley
- 2007 Nomination for AERA Division C Dissertation Competition