Resources for Current Students
This page contains some links to resources for students taking classes through the School of Mathematical Sciences.
- Blackboard - many courses have class websites here.
- WeBWorK - if you are taking Calculus or Linear Algebra, chances are homework will be assigned through this online homework system.
- Calculus Computer Lab - Ross 2263. Staffed with lab helpers, some of which know Mathematica.
- Open Computer Lab - Ross 2261. A bit bigger than the Calculus Lab.
- Hours and lab information.
- Math Tutoring Lab - Ross 1250. Free drop-in tutoring staffed by faculty and students.
- ASA Tutoring Center -Michener Library. L-149. Free individual and group tutoring with appointments.
As a UNC student you have access to a copy of the powerful computational mathematics software Mathematica. The program is installed on campus machines and can be downloaded to your personal computer at no cost. For more information and instructions for getting your copy, see our Mathematica page.
If you are a math major and don't know who your academic adviser is, stop by the math office (Ross Hall 2239) or send an email to Avis Werdel. Your adviser can help you select courses for the upcoming semester and check on your progress towards your degree. Here are some resources to help with planning.
- Schedule of Classes - you can search by semester and subject prefix.
- Four Year Plans - to help you decide what to take when.
- Catalog - where you can find the requirements for the major.
- Registrar - including links to registration schedules and the final exam schedule.
- Math Placement - find out more information on the Mathematics Placement Exam.
- Wolfram Alpha - computational search engine.
- Desmos - a free online graphing calculator (there is also an iPad app).
- GeoGebra - free dynamic mathematics software, especially useful for geometry.
- MathWorld- online encyclopedia of mathematical topics.
- Ask Dr. Math - searchable forum filled with frequently asked math questions and answers.