Biological Education, PhD
The Biological Education, PhD program is designed for graduate students interested in specializing in either biology education or an area of the biological sciences that matches current faculty interests and expertise. Areas of emphasis in this program prepare students to conduct and supervise biological or pedagogical research and to instruct biology courses at the college or university level.
- UNC Main Campus
Tuition & Fees
Total Degree Requirements
64 Credit Hours
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. To be considered for TA position applications encouraged by: 10/15 for spring semester and 3/15 for fall semester
Admission Deadlines & Requirements
- Letter of intent (you will upload this after you have completed and submitted the online application), including:
- Research and Teaching Interests
- Career Goals
- The Names of Potential Faculty Advisors
- Interest in Teaching Assistantship
- Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test Scores
- Required Minimum: 140 Quantitative; 146 Verbal Reasoning; Combined score of at least 297; Analytic Writing 3.5
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- International Students: $60 non-refundable application fee
- Completed Online Application
- Three Letters of Recommendation (You will start this process after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- One official copy of transcripts from all accredited college or university attended since completing high school. UNC Alumni need not submit transcripts.
- Before admission to the program, students should have completed at least four courses in biology and a combined total of three courses in the supporting areas of chemistry, calculus or physics. Students entering the program with deficiencies in coursework will be required to complete coursework based on recommendations of the graduate committee, the school director and the advisor.
- Rick Adams, Ph.D.
- Lauryn Benedict, Ph.D.
- Patrick Burns, Ph.D.
- SueEllen DeChenne, Ph.D.
- Gregory DeKrey, Ph.D.
- Ginger Fisher, Ph.D.
- Scott Franklin, Ph.D.
- Karen Gomez, Ph.D.
- James Haughian, Ph.D.
- Ann Hawkinson, Ph.D.
- Teresa Higgins, Ph.D.
- Susan Keenan, Ph.D.
- Judith Leatherman, Ph.D.
- Stephen Mackessy, Ph.D.
- Mitchell McGlaughlin, Ph.D.
- Robert Reinsvold, Ph.D.
- Mark Thomas, Ph.D.