Jump to main content

Funding Opportunities

US Department of Education Training Grant

UNC Professor Jill Bezyak received a five-year, $958,778 grant from the US Department of Education to increase the number of qualified rehabilitation counselors who serve individuals with disabilities. The grant provides competitive scholarships to students in the Master's Program in Rehabilitation Counseling. Scholarship funds cover tuition, fees, and a stipend for master's level training in rehabilitation counseling.  Accepted students are eligible to apply for these scholarships and should contact Dr. Jill Bezyak for more information.

Graduate Assistantships

Each academic year an allocation is made to the program for student assistantships. These funds are distributed to faculty based on their requests and the allocations made to the unit. After the graduate student has been accepted into the program, he/she should contact his/her advisor if interested in applying for an assistantship.

Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP)

The MA in Rehabilitation Counseling and PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences are approved by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). WICHE’s 15-state region includes Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. Under this approval, students from the other 14 states may qualify to attend UNC at the Colorado resident graduate tuition rate rather than the nonresident rate.

To be considered for the WRGP tuition reduction, documentation of eligibility must be submitted to the UNC Graduate School upon admission. A tuition adjustment will then be made for current and future qualifying semesters. Proof of the following information is needed to support your "residency" in a WRGP state before you will be approved.

  • Residency in the WRGP eligible state for at least 9 consecutive months prior to the beginning of the first academic term of WRGP acceptance
  • Proof of permanent address in the WRGP state
  • Payment of state income tax on wages earned in the WRGP state
  • Proof of the following in the WRGP state:
    • Vehicle registration
    • Driver's license
    • Voter registration

Financial Aid

UNC awards financial aid through a universal scholarship application and the FAFSA. Visit the Financial Aid website for information and application links.

Dr. Terril Rector Glasgow Memorial Scholarship

  • The Dr. Terril Rector Glasgow Memorial Scholarship is awarded to students working towards a post-graduate degree in Rehabilitation Counseling and Sciences. To qualify for this opportunity the applicant must be working towards a post-graduate degree within the Rehabilitation Counseling and Sciences program and be a non-traditional or re-entry student. Preference will be given to students obtaining their Masters in Rehabilitation Counseling. Apply using the UNC Universal Scholarship application.