THE CUMBRES MISSION:
The Cumbres Teacher Preparation Program recruits, supports and mentors undergraduate students who pursue a degree in education (Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary or Special Education) and who also declare an endorsement in English as a Second Language (ESL) to work with and support our growing numbers of linguistically and culturally diverse students in K-12 education.
Our student staff for 2015-2016:
- Resident Assistant: Yael Schechter
- Resident Hall Mentors: Janette Rodriguez, Sarah Betsch
- Cumbres/CHE Academic Advisor: Samantha Lea
- Cumbres has approximately 80 current students seeking licensure endorsements in bilingual instruction and/or English as Second Language (ESL).
- The average Cumbres student Grade Point Average (GPA) exceeds a 3.2 cumulative GPA.
- Each freshman and new student of the program are paired up with a mentor teacher in the Greeley community
- More than 50% of Cumbres students are considered to be first-generation college students.
- Cumbres students receive a $1,500 grant each year.
- Cumbres students are recruited from over 73 different high schools.
Some Cumbres students are members of UNC's:
- Boettcher's Scholars
- Daniel's Fund Scholars
- Presidential Leadership Program.
- University Honors Program
- McNair Scholars Program
- Stryker Institute for Leadership Development
- Greek Life
- Housing and Residential Education
- Center for Human Enrichment
- Cultural Centers